Recharging Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
For any users using Purigen in planted tank, could I get some advice :

My pH is usually around 8.0 and I've read about using buffers when recharging Purigen.

My water looks very cloudy since introducing my first two plants. I don't use any fertilizers, but do add recommended dosage of Flourish & Excel.

It's time to recharge my Purigen for the 1st time, and I was hoping to get step by step advice. Thanks!

For any users using Purigen in planted tank, could I get some advice :

My pH is usually around 8.0 and I've read about using buffers when recharging Purigen.

My water looks very cloudy since introducing my first two plants. I don't use any fertilizers, but do add recommended dosage of Flourish & Excel.

It's time to recharge my Purigen for the 1st time, and I was hoping to get step by step advice. Thanks!
No need to use buffers when recharging Purigen. They used to recommend using a buffer but that has since changed. If your bottle's label say's to use one, this is an old bottle. I have visited their site and emailed Seachem about this and they have told me that there is no need to use a buffer.
Just follow the instructions on the bottle(without using a buffer) and if unsure, visit their site for more info. They have a very good FAQ's section and you should get any help/advice you need there. Also you can use Purigen in a planted tank with no issues, with or without using Ferts/CO2 or liquid carbon......

Alright! Thanks Ian, LOL I am right in the middle of recharging my first Purigen pack so your advice is very timely. Hope you and yours are doing well. OS.

From the SeaChem website:

Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

I occasionally use API Stress Coat. Any known interactions between SeaChem & Stress Coat?

Thanks!

I'm going to use Prime on the pack as that's what their pamplet suggested. I use stress coat too but will save it for just my water additions. OS.

Alright! Thanks Ian, LOL I am right in the middle of recharging my first Purigen pack so your advice is very timely. Hope you and yours are doing well. OS.
Hey Brian. Yeah all is well over here mate. We are experiencing a mini heat wave at the moment, which, trust me is VERY unusual for us...haha. I hope you and yours are doing well too.
I'm going to recharge mine tomorrow. I'm dreading opening my canister, it's been a while. A big too long to be honest!!!.....
PS.. Sorry OP for going slightly off topic!!!!

I'm going to use Prime on the pack as that's what their pamplet suggested. I use stress coat too but will save it for just my water additions. OS.
+1.
I believe you can use Stress Coat for your PWC's but not to remove the colorine after you bleach the Purigen. When your Stress Coat runs out, think about switching to Prime. It's more consentrated, lasts longer, more ecomoical and much better generally IMO. It's cheaper overall for me and I have to import it from your wonderful country!!!!
And the stink from it is perfectly normal....haha

PS.. Sorry OP for going slightly off topic!!!!

Lol, no worries.

Thanks for the responses.

I use Prime for every PWC. I only occasionally treat with Stress Coat, and that's just when fish appear freaked out or if I see a nip on a fin

Lol, no worries.

I use Prime for every PWC. I only occasionally treat with Stress Coat, and that's just when fish appear freaked out or if I see a nip on a fin
Perfect. You've nothing to worrying about so.....

Lol, no worries.

I use seachem's stress guard just so I KNOW its not going to ruin my purigen.

Back
Top Bottom