Recommended plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CupcakeSmith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up my 55 gallon tank back up not too long ago and was wanting to add some more plants. I had grabbed two from the store I thought might be low light plants from previous research like two years ago. I just kinda winged it I'm not sure what they are called but they seem to be doing ok and sprouting new growth. I only have the LED light set up the tank came with. Are there anymore plants I can add? Also adding pictures of the two I have to see if yall think they will do well or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Won't let me upload pictures at the moment. I will try again in a bit.

Amazon swords, anubias, java fern and maybe crypts will work. You will need root tabs for the swords and crypts because they are heavy root feeders. The anubias and Java fern take nutrients out of the water column

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not letting me upload my photos at all for some reason. I had no problems the other day. But anyways thank you so much I will look into those!

We are having some issues with the site and photo uploads, especially through apple devices. We are working on getting fixed, but I am sorry for the inconvenience.

In addition to the plants brennae suggested, check out Java moss. That stuff grows in all sorts of light and is pretty much unkillable for me.

I figured it had to be something going on because it was working just fine the other day. Darn technology! Hahaha

Thank you! I think they actually have some of that at my local petsmart! :)

In addition to the reccomended plants also check out water wisteria and anacharis. Both are very hard to kill

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I figured it had to be something going on because it was working just fine the other day. Darn technology! Hahaha

Thank you! I think they actually have some of that at my local petsmart! :)

If you buy the plants I'm tubes from Petsmart be careful that they say fully aquatic on them. They have some semi aquatic plants in the tubes also and they will rot in your tank. Petco doesn't label their plants in tubes very well so go with a list so you don't get tricked into buying something not aquatic.

If you buy the plants I'm tubes from Petsmart be careful that they say fully aquatic on them. They have some semi aquatic plants in the tubes also and they will rot in your tank. Petco doesn't label their plants in tubes very well so go with a list so you don't get tricked into buying something not aquatic.

^^^This. ^^^ Make sure you know the species ahead of time and know that it is fully aquatic. Some of the employees know which ones are, some do not generally. Also, just a heads up that even the plants in those tubes can carry snail eggs. If you are concerned about snails, you will want to clean them off before putting them in the tank unless you don't care about snails. I don't really care about snails, so I have never bothered to be honest. But, to each their own. Just giving you a heads up. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443481005.215731.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443481017.584033.jpg

Here are the two plants I grabbed when I got the tank started back up. I'm not sure what they are though but they seem to be doing ok. Can anyone tell what they are? I will definitely do my research before I buy anymore and I have heard about watching out for snail eggs on the plants. Didn't know they sold ones that aren't aquatic though. Thank yall so much!

Honestly I can't tell if they are crypts or swords. I'm leaning towards amazon swords. There's a ton of different varieties

They are also planted too deep, if the crown isn't above the substrate the plant will die.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone! I will fix them being planted too deep.

I'm new too and I found that Water sprite and Water Wisteria are easy and super beautiful. Another one that looks like grass is called Micro Sword and it's really easy too. I like your plants. Very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom