Recommended size of Female betta school for a 7 gallon cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been working on a custom stand that will allow me to have 3 Mr. Aqua low iron cubes forming one single aquascape. These tanks will be heavily planted, with liquid carbon, iron, dry ferts and possibly CO2. The initial concept was to have 3 male bettas but my wife is showing a desire to explore the possibility of breeding (fish, lets make it clear).

So the first spin on the initial plan is to get one female for the second tank (tank 2 for now on), make the third one the home of one male offspring and let the mother live with a couple of her daughters back on tank 2.

How many female bettas can live in harmony on such a small tank? Is it possible (since the tanks are heavily planted) to have one male living with other bettas (female only)? Lets say father and one female on tank 1, females on tank 2 and male and a couple of sisters on tank 3?

Thank you for any constructive contribution in advance!

you arent recommended to have a betta sorority in anything under a 10 gallons, and minimum number of females should always be 4.

I guess if a 7 is the biggest you are willing to use, then go for 4 females MAX in that. Since it will be so heavily planted, the tank could easily handle that, but you definitely dont want to add more because they are still very agressive, most of the time, if they get too close, they will square off, just like males without the fighting too rough. As long as you have tons of stuff to break up the line of sight, and plenty of places for the girls to hide then it should work.

Also please dont do any less than 4. 3 means that 2 will likely end up ganging up on the 3rd a LOT. 4 means that there will be equal sides, and enough girls for the alpha to pick on when she's feeling like it so that not just 1 girl is always stuck at the brunt of things.

you arent recommended to have a betta sorority in anything under a 10 gallons, and minimum number of females should always be 4.

I guess if a 7 is the biggest you are willing to use, then go for 4 females MAX in that.

Do you believe plants will work, or should I consider rocks/caves as well?

Do you think if they grow together on the tank will make any difference?

Thank you.

I really wish you wouldn't do multiple females in a tank that small. So many people have found out the hard way that a betta sorority is really a hit and miss venture, even in the recommended tank size of 20 gallons. Howver many you put in, you'll need backup plans for housing, unless you are just going to let them fight to the death and flush the losers.

Could you not find another small attractive fish for this tank? Or make it a shrimp tank...there are some wonderful brightly colored shrimp.

I am considering just having 3 independent tanks with 1 betta each (male or female).

Thank you.

Do you believe plants will work, or should I consider rocks/caves as well?

Do you think if they grow together on the tank will make any difference?

Thank you.

You should do both, tons of plants, and a few caves. Make sure the caves have multiple exits so nobody gets blocked in one.

Thank you. If it is going to be a stressful environment, I would rather just do a male instead of a school of females

Personally, I have never found any of mine to be a stressful environment for the girls, but I've also never done anything smaller than a 10, so I dont know for sure.

It's called a sorority because its exactly like a sorority, a bunch of girls living together usually means a lot of bickering. LOL but it doesnt escalate to the point that anyone gets overly stressed (often) sometimes you get overly aggressive females, and will have to pull them and put someone else in if you are under 4 total in there, but i'd say a good 80% of the time, the girls work out, and the girls will be able to live together just fine.

That being said, I also believe that 7 gallons is probably a bit smaller, and it would be better suited to a single male and maybe a few dwarf cories or RCS or something. If you get something 10+ gallons a sorority would definitely be a better option then.

I wouldn't try a sorority in a 7 gallon. I had one go down in flames in a densely decorated 20 gallon. They did ok for a little while, then within a matter of days there were no survivors. Just today I started a new sorority and even in a 56 gallon with rockwork, flower pots, and a dozen fake plants i added today for some extra cover, there have been a few scuffles. If you want to keep some fry for a sorority maybe just add a 20 gallon or larger tank to your collection and keep mom in the third 7 gallon. It is easier to keep siblings in a sorority than unrelated Bettas, though, so you should have a better chance with a sibling sorority. And no, housing a male and female together just won't work.

I read your other thread about building your home for your betta, nice job! What I think you should do ( if you haven't bought the tanks yet) is put the 2 smaller 7 gallon tanks on the outside then buy a 10 gal rimless and put it in the middle as a centerpiece tank :) this would be really cool and allow you to do your sorority :) and you could still do your 3 tank aquascape idea !

Rc, I know you're considering breeding. Since the tanks will be set up next to each other, why not have a female in one, a male in one, and the third will be for fry? Then when the fry start to grow you can cup them individually and sell em? I know when getting them ready you're supposed to have them in separate tanks next to each other anyways.

Rc, I know you're considering breeding. Since the tanks will be set up next to each other, why not have a female in one, a male in one, and the third will be for fry? Then when the fry start to grow you can cup them individually and sell em? I know when getting them ready you're supposed to have them in separate tanks next to each other anyways.

The other option to have a bigger tank in the middle is nice, but the space that I have is limited, only fitting 3 tanks if they are 12" each (with some space in between).

I am considering the above though. If I manage to breed them (still studying it), tank #3 will still be decorated, but a place for selected babies to grow 'til they are glassed individually.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom