recovery of Plants or Just new ones? Please help a noob here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenatiousTatra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, First off this is what I have:
10-gallon tank
2- 15 watt incandescent light bulbs
1- water heater at 78 deg. fahrenheit
2- 5 lb red and white medium size aquarium gravel
2- albino bristlenose plecos
5- black neon tetras
3- dalmatian mollies
6- dying unidentified plants
1-plant anubias driftwood

I am kinda of new at this so dont be to hard on me. :ermm: Now here is my problem... my 6 plants that I have bought I have no clue what the name of them are. I have tried to search through all the depths of the internet and still I have not found one thing on them. they are all dying now and I have no way of knowing on how to rescue them. should I take them out and call it quits and get new and easier plants to take care of, Or should I try to keep these alive as best I can?

Attached is a couple pictures of the dying plants. if anyone can help It would be much appreciated, or if you even know what plants they are then that would be great!

dying plants.jpg

unknown plant.jpg

TenatiousTatra said:
Alright, First off this is what I have:
10-gallon tank
2- 15 watt incandescent light bulbs
1- water heater at 78 deg. fahrenheit
2- 5 lb red and white medium size aquarium gravel
2- albino bristlenose plecos
5- black neon tetras
3- dalmatian mollies
6- dying unidentified plants
1-plant anubias driftwood

I am kinda of new at this so dont be to hard on me. :ermm: Now here is my problem... my 6 plants that I have bought I have no clue what the name of them are. I have tried to search through all the depths of the internet and still I have not found one thing on them. they are all dying now and I have no way of knowing on how to rescue them. should I take them out and call it quits and get new and easier plants to take care of, Or should I try to keep these alive as best I can?

Attached is a couple pictures of the dying plants. if anyone can help It would be much appreciated, or if you even know what plants they are then that would be great!

Swap out your lights for Mini CFLs. I use two ZooMed 10 watt UltraSun 6,500K.

I suggest twice weekly water changes till you move your fish. Your tank is SERIOUSLY overstocked. Your fish need at least a 20g.
I prefer a 30g for Mollies. High bioload.

I'd move all the fish. Black Neons are fairly stocky and can be nippy in small groups.

Consider Nano fish species instead or a larger tank ASAP.

Flourish plant food and Flourish Excel, plus the right lights and clean water should help your plants.

I just looked closer at your plants.
They are Aluminum Plants. Pretty but NOT aquatic. Pull them.

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Worst_Aquarium_Plants

http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/Articles/Terrestrial_Plants_Sold_As_Aquatics.html

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatf...olve-plants-to-avoid-in-freshwater-aquariums/

Buy plants from Hobbyists

I highly recommend buying from other Hobbyists.
Check our AA mart first.
Then check
TPT...The Planted Tank ( only members can see Sales Threads) and
APC...Aquatic Plant Central ( members only mart)
Both are FREE to join.

I've gotten great deals from fellow hobbyists.
Power Sellers are great, they have a ton of positive feedback.

WOW. I better pull them now before they kill my fish. thank you so much! I hope that it wont kill the albino Bristlenose Plecos since they like to suck the algae of them. aww man. :( I just bought them a pet store by my house. no wonder he was so eager to give them to me. dang it..

Some great plants for beginners for low light with no need to inject co2 are Anubias, Java Fern , Crypts, and Amazon Swords. If you get Swords, I suggest getting some Root Tabs and place them in the gravel by the Swords because they are root feeders.

Was thinking of an amazon sword or a Java fern. For the Java fern, would the tabs benefit more or would the Flourish plant food and Flourish Excel work or possibly Both? I am already going to change the light bulbs depending on the plants that I get. I just dont want my plants to die again...

TenatiousTatra said:
Was thinking of an amazon sword or a Java fern. For the Java fern, would the tabs benefit more or would the Flourish plant food and Flourish Excel work or possibly Both? I am already going to change the light bulbs depending on the plants that I get. I just dont want my plants to die again...

Root tabs for the Swords.. I believe they need the iron. Java Fern on the other hand will grow and flourish in a wide range of conditions. They are one of the easiest aquatic plants to grow. They'll do fine with just the liquid ferts.

TenatiousTatra said:

Java Ferns aren't "planted" usually. Mine are tied to wood. They don't need Root Tabs.

Swords and Crypts are heavy root feeders.

Flourish and Fl. Excel used together will help things grow. A few plants are sensitive to Excel.

Don't add huge amounts of light, then you'd have to balance it with CO2 and you'll be liable to grow Algae instead of plants. 2 watts a gallon of correct lighting will grow lots of stuff.

My 10g Shrimp Jungle

Details are in my Albums

Back
Top Bottom