Red Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinylmation

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
No photos or videos

I'm new to live plants. I have 2 Anubias and 2 Java Fern.

My 2 Java Ferns have long red tentacles with hairs. It only grows and the back side of the leaf.

To my understanding these are low light/low maintenance plants. I'm on PFS substrate. I'm not looking to get a C02 system or or convert my aquarium to a planted tank.

Lights: T5 H.O. 2x 54Watt Daylight 10K Daylight Lamps.
Is this enough light?

Is this red algea?
How do i fix the problem?

They're actually baby plants growing. That's how java ferns reproduce, plantlets grow on the mother plants leaves, what you're seeing is the roots. Eventually they'll grow big enough to be gently removed and grow on their own.

I'll have to take a better look/picture when I get home. From the pictures I've Google'd, it seems like my plants have way more "roots"than all the other pictures I've found. Also I don't have any stems growing or maybe not yet.

I just googled "java fern plantlets" and found lots of pictures that look just like yours. Trust me, I had the same thing when I first started and had no idea what it was. Some grow more babies than others, and this is actually the reason I'll never keep java ferns, IMO it's kinda ugly when they're growing roots on the leaves like that all the time... If you look closely at some of the mature leaves, you'll see little black or brown dots, almost in a pattern. Those are where the babies will grow from.

I have the windelov and my plantlet grow from the tips. That looks like the roots but that seems like an awful lot of them here is a pic of my windlov.

Back
Top Bottom