Red Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kane2004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question. My Swords hav some kind of red algea on them, just in a few spots where they get the most light.
Does this harm the plants, and if so, how do i remove it?

Thanx

might harm then from blocking light. maybe cyanobacteria. remove it with a dedicated turkey baster you shoould buy at the crocery store and use in future for feeding, cleaning, etc. its a necesity IMO.
best of luck!

Hmmm . . . red? True red algae is usually black in color (known as Black Beard Algae or BBA) and is sort of tufted/fuzzy in appearance and pretty rough to the touch. I've never had experience with any algae that is actually red though. Do you have some pics?

I recently cleaned off the leaves, but as usual im sure it will come back, if it does i will post the pics in a couple of days. Its actually more of a rust color than pure red, however its not rought to the touch, infact i can brush it off with my fingers with no force at all. It always returns though in a few days.

I've set up my first aquarium in three years, and I have this problem too. rust colored algae that I first thought was some sort of sediment settling out of the water. But now I know better.

It only seems to grow on my plants, the sand and rocks are clear, as well as my equipment.

travis simonson said:
Hmmm . . . red? True red algae is usually black in color (known as Black Beard Algae or BBA) and is sort of tufted/fuzzy in appearance and pretty rough to the touch. I've never had experience with any algae that is actually red though. Do you have some pics?
Never seen really RED algae before? I get it all the time, most likely from the algae dying off after a shot of H2O2. Looks like a brush fire, doesn't it?

redalgae.jpg

It was green before, but it turns that bright red before it dies off....that's how I know I've got it beat!

Back
Top Bottom