Red plants and light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just two months ago I started planting my main tank. This is my first time trying this. I started with just two plants to see if the things would live (amazon swordplant and water sprite). I had bought an "aqua glo" 20 watt bulb for a 29 gal tank. They seem fine but I'm aware that I probably need more light. Before I go off getting a different bulb, I want enough light to have nice red plants in the tank. Also, the tank is in an area that doesn't get the best natural lighting (i.e. far away from any windows). So what type of lighting should I get so I can grow red plants?

A different bulb is not going to help at all. Every bulb that will fit in your current fixture is the same wattage as the one you have now. Also 29 gallon tanks are IMHO a royal pain to light. They are 30" long and the most common PC bulb lengths are 22-24" and 36".

So you are either going to have a 55-65 watt bulb that doesn't give good coverage for the tank and still gives you a pretty low light tank or you can go to something like I have in my 29 gallon tank which is a 2x55 watt AH Supply kit that makes it so I can pretty much grow anything I wish but does require a pressurized CO2 injection system and a good knowledge of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom