Red plants for tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noddster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just wondering what type of red plants you can put in a tank

It all depends on your lighting as non-green plants require higher levels of light along with CO2 or liquid carbon daily. The only non-green plant that you can pretty much use in any set up tho is Red Tiger Lotus. It will need root tabs in the substrate to fertilize it. So what is the tank size, type of lighting, and bulbs? Also do you use CO2 or liquid carbon? What ferts?

It all depends on your lighting as non-green plants require higher levels of light along with CO2 or liquid carbon daily. The only non-green plant that you can pretty much use in any set up tho is Red Tiger Lotus. It will need root tabs in the substrate to fertilize it. So what is the tank size, type of lighting, and bulbs? Also do you use CO2 or liquid carbon? What ferts?

My tank is two foot long, I have high light LED lighting, I use liquid carbon and I have just started as of yesterday flourish it on

Are you dosing ferts per EI or PPS- Pro? If not, I would highly suggest looking into them. It would expand your horizons greatly. What kind of LED? That matters alot, too.

I have been told that EI is what I would be needing to do. My fish shop reckons co2 booster and liquid iron and my tank will be alright. My light is a Green element Evo 24 with 3w led x 16 12 daylight led and 4 actinic (blue) led, some of my plants are quite firm in the gravel, they have been there for about a month now

Are you dosing ferts per EI or PPS- Pro? If not, I would highly suggest looking into them. It would expand your horizons greatly. What kind of LED? That matters alot, too.

I have heard of EI and I need to look in to it a little more, I haven't heard of pps- pro, my aquarium shop recommended liquid iron and co2 booster. My led lighting is evo24 with 3w 16 led (12 day light and 4 blue led) from green lighting

EI is the most straight forward approach to fertilizing. It basically provides the plants with an excess of nutrients so that deficiencies can not occur. This takes one variable out of the picture so when algae arises it is only one of two things, light or co2. The majority of algae issues are due to low co2 and too high of light.

I did have some algae when I reesacped

I did start to have some problem with algae before I rescaped the tank, I hope I can stop it this time. EI looks interesting I might see if I can find the equipment at my local fish aquarium shops before I go online

Red Plant

This one is good, I have it in both my tanks. Reineckii

Attachments

• plant.JPG
    plant.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 47
The Led fixture your using is for reef tanks, not planted freshwater tanks and those actinic bulbs can give you problems with algae. Also the higher the lighting used the higher the dose of liquid carbon is needed. I ran a very high light tank with liquid carbon for over a year at a high dose with no algae problems. PPS-Pro is a more target dosing regime. You can adjust dosing to the needs of your tank without running excess. I run a low nitrate (10ppm) and high phosphate (5-10ppm) tank as about 2/3 of my 220g are planted with non green plants. Both fert regimes are good and it boils down to what works best for you.

Colored plants you can use to name a few are Limnophila hippuroides, Cabomba Furcata, Rotala's Wallichii, Macrandra, Magenta, Mini Butterfly, Ludwigia's sp Red, Atlantis, Senegalis, and a ton of others in that family. If you look at my albums in the link under my signature you can view pic's of all these plants in the various albums.

I thought they where just selling me anything, I have now seen some nice looking home made lights, and thinks I will research them and see if I can find them

Definitely some Cabomba Furcata

Colored plants you can use to name a few are Limnophila hippuroides, Cabomba Furcata, Rotala's Wallichii, Macrandra, Magenta, Mini Butterfly, Ludwigia's sp Red, Atlantis, Senegalis, and a ton of others in that family. If you look at my albums in the link under my signature you can view pic's of all these plants in the various albums.

Completely agree with Rivercats one some of the more astonishing ones.

I LOVE the

-Cabomba furcata.

Another one not mentioned on here is the

-Ludwigia peruensis

In order to keep the reds you really need to keep nitrates in check. If you are, I wouldn't even bother dosing them. What's your stock list? I'm heavily stocked so its hard to keep my reds vibrant as it would require more than one WC a week and I just don't have the time to do so. Also as Rivercats mentioned lighting and Co2 are very critical. Most reds like the higher light so I would aim for 3-5 WPG. I would check out buildmyled.com if you wana stick with LEDs. Rivercats will vouch for them and I plan on purchasing one in the future.

Thanks, I have 4 neon tetra, a black now tetra, a dread gourami, 2 phantom glass catfish and a bristle nose catfish and I will check that site out

Back
Top Bottom