Red/Purple Fluffy Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lozzamogz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

My tank seems perfectly healthy and normal (fish happy and water testing all coming back healthy). Only difference is, I suddenly have a bloom of fuzzy reddish algae (see pics). It is covering everything other than the substrate. Even my plants are becoming fuzzy and purple!

Does anyone know what may have caused this and how I can get rid of/prevent it? BTW my tank is fresh tropical.

Thanks,
Laura

Attachments

• 20160711_224158.jpg
    20160711_224158.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160711_224210.jpg
    20160711_224210.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 62
It's pretty. When I bought a price of wood with it I was told it is Cyanobacteria. I took it back to the store so I do not know how to treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it's Cyanobacteria/Blue green algae/BGA, then you should be able to physically remove most of it while doing water changes. Using the siphon hose it should vacuum up pretty easily. If you use the same bucket for refilling the tank, I would rinse it out well to reduce reintroducing it to the affected and other tanks. It grows quickly and may outpace your water changes.
You can use antibiotics to treat the entire tank. API Erythromycin is commonly found in LFSs and the big box stores. I've had to do this twice over the last few years. It is effective and does not appear to affect the fish, inverts, plants, and bio filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom