Red racer nerite question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I called my lfs today about what they recommended for green fluff algae/ could be cladophora but cannot find a definitive answer, I asked about Otos she said won't eat it, I asked about flying fox she said they would until they mature then they get lazy and stop then I asked about nerites she said they would, she has 3 red racers for 4 dollars she will sell of of them to me for, but my worry is this, I have a tank full of ramshorn that constantly die and I don't know why so I'm afraid the nerites will see the same fate, my parameters are always perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4
Kh 4.5
Gh 6
Temp 77
Tds 150
Phosphate 2
I feed pretty heavy so that's not the cause I don't think.
I don't have any fish that eat the snails so I don't think that's the issue.
What could be killing the ramshorn which are supposed to eat green fluff but they don't also what are your opinions on if I should get the Nerites with the issues I have with the ramshorn dying, I think these are ramshorn.

https://i.imgur.com/MhzVkNF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/izUquBh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you dose ferts or Excel, CO2 or anything? Those RH in the pic with the Anubias look good.
Crayfish?
Just thrive ferts 1x weekly, I was told it could be because I really don't have much algae and I don't over feed but I'm not thinking so.

No crayfish, no co2

I have low KH /pH so I know why I can lose them.

Try just adding bird Cuttle bone, non treated, flavored, etc. of course.

RH don't care that much if it is algae, they eat all kinds of foods. I also like Seaweed Extreme food they like it pretty well. Maybe some Hikari Crab Cuisine, they like it too. Has more minerals for shell growth.

Just some ideas.

Nerite will die off if there isn't algae. You can add an odd light bulb on a back side of the tank for extra algae growth.

You could grow algae rocks for them too. Vase with smooth river stones, old dirty tank water in the sunshine /window and then just switch them out and feed the snails.

I always have a hard time keeping snails alive. Both nerites and ramshorn always die. Maybe its the low ph in my case.

I have low KH /pH so I know why I can lose them.

Try just adding bird Cuttle bone, non treated, flavored, etc. of course.

RH don't care that much if it is algae, they eat all kinds of foods. I also like Seaweed Extreme food they like it pretty well. Maybe some Hikari Crab Cuisine, they like it too. Has more minerals for shell growth.

Just some ideas.

Nerite will die off if there isn't algae. You can add an odd light bulb on a back side of the tank for extra algae growth.

You could grow algae rocks for them too. Vase with smooth river stones, old dirty tank water in the sunshine /window and then just switch them out and feed the snails.
I was told cuttle bone/kale, I have this green fluff algae stuff the RH don't touch, I was told Otos won't touch it, flying fix will until they mature, it's not summer here so I don't know how well I could grow algae, would they suffice on alternatives like zucchini or do they only eat algae? Is a kh of 4.5 too Low? PH is 7.4

Update, the first red racers I got I took back as they kept trying to escape, today I fixed the gaps, bought the rest of the nerites my lfs had (2 red racers 1 zebra) for $1.50 each, they aren't the best looking snails, one has a small chip in its shell nothing drastic, I was told it won't fix itself but it's fine I couldn't complain for $1.50, I tested the water again and my kh is 5 gh is 6, my phosphates are really high so I don't want to add equilibrium to increase it, I don't know if I have to increase it either, also how often should I let them eat on a cuttlebone or kale?
Here's 2 of them a red racer next to a zebra the other one was already under driftwood munching down
Red racer /zebra https://imgur.com/a/jL3ukXV

If you leave the cuttlebone in the tank, the water will erode it and it will go into the water column continuously. Mine would hide in back behind a rock or plant, the snails munch on it any ole time. If it is stuck into the substrate it can get black on the end or side in the substrate. You can add a small flat type stone and lay CB on top of it so it doesn't get nasty. Used to plunk them into the substrate like a surfboard standing in the sand.

Also usually placed beneath the outflow of the HOB.

Last edited:
If you leave the cuttlebone in the tank, the water will erode it and it will go into the water column continuously. Mine would hide in back behind a rock or plant, the snails munch on it any ole time. If it is stuck into the substrate it can get black on the end or side in the substrate. You can add a small flat type stone and lay CB on top of it so it doesn't get nasty. Used to plunk them into the substrate like a surfboard standing in the sand.

Also usually placed beneath the outflow of the HOB.
Is that just so the cuttlebone increases the calcium In the water? If so it won't hurt the tank or water quality if I just throw a cuttlebone in the tank and replace when it's gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues ever with water quality.

I have used them for years now my kh is lowish all the time. I use mineral Replenish because I can't seem to locate my Salty Shrimp. Nano tanks I would use a sharp knife with a hard smack to cut it lengthwise or just break it. Use large ones for bigger tanks.

Sometimes you can find bulk boxes with varying sizes. Seems the water uses what it needs. It is a slow dissolve so smaller more frequent pwc would be a better procedure.

I never did get around to it but some people use oyster shell grit like is fed to chickens - in a bag in a canister or HOB, or crushed coral or coral rubble, often you can buy a couple hand fulls from a SW lfs, bits and pieces from the bottom of the boxes of dry rock.

Last edited:
BTW, it can take awhile for it to sink. Never bothered me after the initial concern of it taking a pretty long time. Hard shell toward the surface, when it DOES sink then place it where you want. Pattern that forms from the thing dissolving is pretty cool looking too. Similar to [although white} weathered grain of wood.

BTW, it can take awhile for it to sink. Never bothered me after the initial concern of it taking a pretty long time. Hard shell toward the surface, when it DOES sink then place it where you want. Pattern that forms from the thing dissolving is pretty cool looking too. Similar to [although white} weathered grain of wood.
Okay, I went to The pet store, cuttle bone was in the bird supply section is that what I'm looking for.

Kinda hindered at the moment I strained my trapezius muscle, I'm stuck in Bed lol, the nerites are putting in work though, they eat like pigs non stop.

Back
Top Bottom