Red tiger lotus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29g with a standard 18w fluorescent strip. Dose excel daily and weekly liquid ferts. I will be planting in Flourite capped with play sand. Would I even be able to keep a red tiger lotus?

Actually yes. Red tiger lotus can actually be grown in low, medium, and high light. Just be sure if you get a bulb not to plant it. Lay it on the top of the substrate where you want it to grow. Thing is sometimes bulbs will sprout and some will be duds. It's best if you can get one that has already started sprouting and has roots and a couple leaves.

I was wondering about them too since I wanted something other than green plants that would do fine in low light. Plus I think their really pretty plants.

_skyla_ said:
I was wondering about them too since I wanted something other than green plants that would do fine in low light. Plus I think their really pretty plants.

Yeah they're really nice looking and it's good to have something than just green in your tank.

I added one about 2 weeks ago and it's growing lots of roots. I'm not sure where the leaves grow from the bulb. Does anybody know if they grow from the same side as the roots or from another spot on the bulb? I'm wondering how to position the thing. Roots down?

Red Tiger Lotus not only grow in lower light but have better red color in lower light. The brighter/higher the light they become lighter and lighter pink and pale green kind of blended together. That is how mine is now. When it was little it was a nice rich darker pink (never red) but it was shaded then. As it grew closer to the light it became lighter and lighter and then the pale green started. The pale pink and green are kind of blended on the leaves, gives them an interesting look up close.

Just because roots are going on one side doesn't necessarily mean the leaves will come out the other. My bulb came already sprouted and both the roots and leaves were really close together. I laid the root side on top the substrate and then let the leaves turn and start growing towards the light. Also the roots will go into the substrate and root so the bulb will be held in place. I never bury my bulbs as there is a chance they can root.

Rivercats said:
Red Tiger Lotus not only grow in lower light but have better red color in lower light. The brighter/higher the light they become lighter and lighter pink and pale green kind of blended together. That is how mine is now. When it was little it was a nice rich darker pink (never red) but it was shaded then. As it grew closer to the light it became lighter and lighter and then the pale green started. The pale pink and green are kind of blended on the leaves, gives them an interesting look up close.

Just because roots are going on one side doesn't necessarily mean the leaves will come out the other. My bulb came already sprouted and both the roots and leaves were really close together. I laid the root side on top the substrate and then let the leaves turn and start growing towards the light. Also the roots will go into the substrate and root so the bulb will be held in place. I never bury my bulbs as there is a chance they can root.

Thank you again for the great info. I've grown other bulbs but this is my first red lotus. It really helps a lot to know this. Incidentally, I found another tiny bulb in my old substrate that I put aside and planted a couple of weeks ago. It's putting up red leaves, too! Must've been buried under my old gravel for years. Looks familiar. lol

You know little bulb and sometimes new plants without bulbs will sprout off bulbs. I noticed when the bulb was just getting going good that new leaves seemed to be sprouting from the substrate not the bulb. I pulled a couple up and found they were little bulbless plants who's roots were attached to the original bulb. I never had that before when I grew them. Watch your bulb and see if you get any odd growth. Had I wanted I could easily have snipped the little plants off and replanted them somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom