Reeeeally nano planted tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30 watts of LED for a 1.5g tank? I seriously hope that you have the light quite a ways away from the water or this is going to turn into an algae farm. CO2 is going to be necessary for this.

With that level I would probably choose glossostigma or dwarf hair grass.

30 watts of LED for a 1.5g tank? I seriously hope that you have the light quite a ways away from the water or this is going to turn into an algae farm. CO2 is going to be necessary for this.

Well yeah, thought about that. I may go for another one with lower light or actually just keep this on a lower setting, only turning a few leds on.

:lol: Wow! That is some really high light you got there!!! 30 watts on a 1.5g? What light did you get? You are definitely gonna need DIY/pressurized co2 to keep the algae at bay.

:lol: Wow! That is some really high light you got there!!! 30 watts on a 1.5g? What light did you get? You are definitely gonna need DIY/pressurized co2 to keep the algae at bay.

Nothing yet. Will pick up tomorrow night. Not sure, it really depends on my budget. I have 20 dollars toward it but am working for more. I think DHG sounds good, maybe with a spiralis or anubia.

As someone who has had a 1.5 gallon, I would recommend no fish. None at all. Shrimp, maybe a snail, but I think fish would not be happy in that small of a space IMO.

Okay, first off, 30 watts of LED is WAY too much, and I don't think you will be able to buy something like that with $20. At least, something quality.

Second, DHG can grow large, too large for a 1.5g IMO. Would make the scale weird. I think dwarf baby tears or glosso would look a lot better.

Third, I agree, no fish. Would stick with a colony of shrimp/

Well to be honest i am not sure of gallon size. That is just what i saw. When i actually go i may get a bigger tank, maybe the same. You know what? I just thought about it. A shrimp or two and a snail? That sounds good. That is, if i go with the small size.

Okay, first off, 30 watts of LED is WAY too much, and I don't think you will be able to buy something like that with $20. At least, something quality.

Second, DHG can grow large, too large for a 1.5g IMO. Would make the scale weird. I think dwarf baby tears or glosso would look a lot better.

Third, I agree, no fish. Would stick with a colony of shrimp/

If you are not an experienced plant keeper I do not recommend keeping dwarf baby tears because they are pretty difficult to keep and need co2. Glosso is just a little easier IMO. But I do agree with no fish and the DHG would look a little big in a 1.5.

Well to be honest i am not sure of gallon size. That is just what i saw. When i actually go i may get a bigger tank, maybe the same. You know what? I just thought about it. A shrimp or two and a snail? That sounds good. That is, if i go with the small size.

If you get a nano tank (less than 5g) a nano planted medium light shrimp tank would not look bad. The plants would not be too hard to keep, algae is not as big of a problem, and the shrimp will look cool. You can have some snails too. For a nano tank I like to go with shrimp that don't breed and spread as fast like filter shrimp. One that I like is the flower/bamboo shrimp.

If you get a nano tank (less than 5g) a nano planted medium light shrimp tank would not look bad. The plants would not be too hard to keep, algae is not as big of a problem, and the shrimp will look cool. You can have some snails too. For a nano tank I like to go with shrimp that don't breed and spread as fast like filter shrimp. One that I like is the flower/bamboo shrimp.

Or could i get only male red cherries? They are small.

Getting only male red cherries would be pretty hard because you would need to ask the seller to pick out only males. Another thing is red cherry males are the red cherries that are less colorful (usually transparent with little hints of red). Females are the ones that are fat and red.
Glosso isn't too expensive though everyone has their own budget. I've seen people sell it on eBay. That's the only place I've seen it though. I don't remember how much for a pot.

You might check craigs***t I have been able to find lots of great things. Last time was a excellent condition 5G Chi (dry and clean, with a bonus Aqueon Evolve 2 Gallon, which had about 13 fish in it (yes around 13, the 2G tank, OMG!!! - Featured in bad craigslist, lol) For $20, or maybe $25, can't remember atm.

You can search through this thread from a while back here on AA, lots of fun ideas. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/planted-bowls-256693.html - if you might want something where you don't have to spent a lot of money for some cool little set ups.

Getting only male red cherries would be pretty hard because you would need to ask the seller to pick out only males. Another thing is red cherry males are the red cherries that are less colorful (usually transparent with little hints of red). Females are the ones that are fat and red.
Glosso isn't too expensive though everyone has their own budget. I've seen people sell it on eBay. That's the only place I've seen it though. I don't remember how much for a pot.

Oh right. In the aquatic world, its usually vice versa color wise.

If by 'red cherries' you mean cherry barbs, then males are bright red with the females more of a tan. Very very easy to distinguish. I think your tank is way to small for these though

If by 'red cherries' you mean cherry barbs, then males are bright red with the females more of a tan. Very very easy to distinguish. I think your tank is way to small for these though

Red cherry shrimp :)

cherry_red_shrimp_5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom