Regulator PSI Fluctuations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my CO2 set up for about 7 months or so and I just got my tank filled last week. My regulator is giving me problems now and has since the last time I got my tank filled. The PSI gauge keeps going up and down on its own. I want it set to 30 but it will go up to 35psi then drop back down to 30psi and it will do this continuously. At night it will drop to 20psi and I have to reset it. This is a huge problem since my diffuser needs at least 30 psi to work and with me being home 3 days of the week, I am coming home to no co2 being pushed into my tank. My regulator is here. Can anyone tell me if this is fixable or if this regulator is a dud?

So the regulator is determining the amount of co2 getting out of the tank by itself? Does the regulator have a needle valve?

Ya it does. I played around with it for a while and it has been steady for like an hour and a half. I am going to have to check it has been off for a while. I am sure the issue will return though. I am really stumped as to what could be causing this...

So the needle valve is turning by itself? either that or the needle valve is broken because that is supposed to keep a steady stream of co2 going.

So your working pressure is varying. Did you crack the valve on the tank for a second before hooking up the regulator to clear any possible debris? Make sure the main valve is open about a half turn more than just the point of when it pressurizes. If you did these, you may have to try turning the pressure valve clockwise until closed then open to 40 psi and then back down to 30 psi. Hope this helps, OS.

So your working pressure is varying. Did you crack the valve on the tank for a second before hooking up the regulator to clear any possible debris? Make sure the main valve is open about a half turn more than just the point of when it pressurizes. If you did these, you may have to try turning the pressure valve clockwise until closed then open to 40 psi and then back down to 30 psi. Hope this helps, OS.
No, I didn't crack the valve on the tank, honestly never thought I had to. That is something I will have to remember when I get another exchange. It hasn't moved in a while, I guess I will have to check it tomorrow. I tried turning it up and back down slowly already, several times. It wasn't fixing it immediately, but I left it for a while and it seemed to steady itself. If the problem isn't solved and this is just a fluke, is there anything else I could try?

How cold is your house getting at night? Temperature variations could account for some of the changes.

It is about 70 degrees in here. It holds steady at 40psi but when I lower it to 30psi, it starts to adjust itself. This is a dumb question, but if I leave it at 40psi but still on 2 BPS, will the tank run out faster?

NO. BPS determines how fast the CO2 is coming out not working pressure. OS.

Yes, but bps is a function of working pressure, such that if working pressure is changing, your bps will also be changing.

I agree with increasing your working pressure to see if that fixes things.

I've got a Milwaukee regulator, and it does the same thing below 20-25 psi. I also used a needle valve that looks the same as the one in the picture, and I had trouble getting consistent results. You may look into getting a more finely threaded needle valve.

It holds steady when it is at 40psi. So I think I will just leave it there and adjust the needle valve accordingly. I would love to get a new regulator, just can't afford it at the moment. It's on the list of future items though.

Thanks for your help guys!

Hey, if the Milwaukee works well at 40 psi and you get a steady BPS there, why want another one? Lots of peeps are happy with the Milwaukee. OS.

Back
Top Bottom