Regulators....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is the JBJ regulator and solenoid a good one, or should I just stick with the Milwaukee? Also looking at getting 2 CO2 tanks, should I go with 2 5lb tanks or 2 10lb's?

The Jebo is an acceptable regulator, IMO. I have an old beverage reg on one tank and an old welding reg on another tank. Both gotten free. Don't have solenoids and this stuff works so I don't feel like a high quality regulator is even necessary. On the tanks, get the biggest ones you can afford/house. You'll never regret it.

I think its hard to go wrong with a Milwaukee set up. My first system was from Foster & Smith (Azoo). It now works well, no problems. It take all systems a week or two to settle in. I rarely have to touch my needle valve now, but had to watch it like a hawk in the first week. My second system is all Milwaukee. I bought it from www.aquariumplants.com. I bought my CO2 tank (aluminum) off of Ebay for $45. It was used, but looks like new. My first system uses a swap out tank. It costs about $13 to fill it. I've been running it for 4 months now and really haven't made a dent into the CO2 yet. Its a 5lb bottle, it may last me a year. I really like the Milwaukee ph controller. Its reasonably priced and its reliable. I re-calibrate mine once a month. If you get a ph controller, make sure you order some calibrating solutions. Both of my systems are running on 90 gal tanks.

Milwaukee or JBJ. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I use JBJ. My partner in aquatics uses Milwaukee.

I have a Milwaukee and it works fine. Like caribou said it will take a couple weeks for the needle valve to adjust, so you don't have to open it again and again.

I got a 10lb cylinder for $40 incl. the first filling at a local welding shop. I had to call around a little though. Cuz others wanted about $100-120 for a 5lb tank in this area. Crazy how different the pricing can be!

But get a 10lb tank if you can fit it in. You won't have to get it changed as often and I think refills are cheaper in the long run too.

My recommendation:
1 milwaukee
1 manifold with at least 2 needle valves
1 10lb cylinder

Assuming the aquariums are close enough to one another, run them both off the same CO2 setup. Manifold lets you split the CO2 properly at the right flow for each aquarium. Because the milwaukee is not a 'fixed output' like the JBJ, you can crank up the psi coming out of the regulator (going to the needle valves) if necessary. With a JBJ, it only lets out 20psi or so, and if for some reason your tanks were on two stories, I doubt it'd have enough psi to reach the 2nd tank...where as with a Milwaukee you could crank up to 40psi if you needed to overcome a longer distance.

I'm only going to have 1 planted tank, a 75G. Was talking about CO2 tanks above. :) Is there anything you can get to hook up 2 CO2 tanks, and only run 1 at a time, then when 1 gets empty, close it's valve and open the new one and remove the empty one to get filled and hook it back up. Or should I just have 1 hooked up and when empty, just switch tanks? Any thoughts on how others do it is appreciated, as I'm beginning to order my CO2 stuff now. And will have the tank probably by the end of the month with the stand.

24 hours without CO2 isn't gonna cause problems. I've had to go 48 hours before because I ran out on a Saturday and could only get a fill on Monday.

Remember, this isn't rocket science...we're growing aquatic weeds...don't make it more complex than it needs to be :)

Back
Top Bottom