Removing BIO-wheel from CO2 injected planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I didn't want to spam the sticky so I decided to create a new thread. Original question here.

In my 29 gal, I have a Penguin100 and an AquaClear200, for about 10x turnover. I'm going to remove the BIO-wheel [eventually]. I'm currently only growing anacharis so I have a lightly "planted" tank. Will removing the BIO-wheel now hurt anything or should I wait until I get more plants? I realize that I will probably see a mini cycle. By removing the BIO-wheel, I would suspect that the AC HOB will make up the difference; if my few plants don't first. I'm probably worrying too much about it, but is there really anything I should be concerned with that would make me want to wait to pull it until I get more plants?

Float the biowheel if the anacharis hasn't taken off yet. Theres nothing you need to really worry about in this, and I would think your goldies would appreciate the lower current.

assuming both the penguin and AC have some filter media (sponges, bio-rings), you should have plenty of nitrafying bacteria that no mini-cycle should pop up.
When in doubt, float the bio wheel in the tank a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom