Removing black beard algae from plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vincent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a broad leaf anubias that recently started getting little, fuzzy black spots on its leaves. From what I've read, it's probably black beard algae. I don't see it anywhere else. What are my options for removing it?

My light is a T8 8000K full spectrum, and it's usually on for about 10 hours. I suspect I need to cut back to about 7 hours. Should I start with that right away, or scale back over a week or so?

The tank is still cycling, and the water parameters are: pH 7.4, ammonia 0-0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 3. I change 25% of the water weekly.

I'm thinking about a clean-up crew of a couple of pygmy corydora, or maybe amano shrimp (I assume they'd be too big for my betta to try to eat).

I had an awful outbreak in my tank a few years ago. It can eventually overtake everything if not dealt with. Luckily you are catching it early. I spot dosed Hydrogen Peroxide and dosed Excel, which helped, but I'd let it go far too long. I luckily came across true Siamese Algae eaters, bought 3 of them and the algae was gone in a couple of weeks. It's always a better idea to fix the root of the issue though, and I think a major contributor is low c02. Do you dose fertilizers?
I'd go ahead and reduce that light period to 7 hrs per day.

Doing additional water changes will also help for now m. As mentioned earlier, kill the BBA with glut or H2O2. Limit lighting to 6 hours for now; you can raise it to above 6 hours to 8 hours later on when plant mass is larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I currently have the same problem. I've been going hard to kill the bba for the past month and a half now. Water changes, H202, Flourish Excel, manual removal. I can't seem to Get it out fast enough. I bought a co2 regulator and heard that it helps kill it once I set it up, just never got around to it. But I got to looking and I've been hearing about this product called nualgi. They've just came out with this improved formula and the reviews so far have been good on it. So I decided why not give it a try. I just dosed for the first time today so I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'll keep you updated.

For me BBA seemed like the toughest and was certainly the most unsightly algae I had encountered. It thrives in tanks where CO2 fluctuates. I introduced it by having an unstable DIY co2 setup. Through experimeting I eventualy got a really good DIY recipe (with molases) which reduced it's growth but once I got a pressurized CO2 setup the plants litterally shed the BBA and it would fall to the substrate and turn white/melt.

I would recommend adressing the fluctuations in C02 first and foremeost.

Once I

Back
Top Bottom