Removing dead Hair grass leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conorluc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought some Dwarf Hair grass and a lot if it turned brown when I planted it. I don't know if it was because I cut the roots to short when I took it out of its pot or it was just getting adjusted to my tank. It is still alive however and has some nice green blades however I have all this unsightly browns blades is there a way to remove these with out uprooting my plant or will they go away eventually?

DHG goes through a melt when acclimating to a new tank. So long as good lighting, a carbon source (preferably co2), and ferts are present, the DHG should bounce back. This is the case in several instances when I planted or moved DHG (e. Parvula). I'd just leave the brown leaves and be patient. Do you know if the DHG was grown emersed or submerged?

I bought it from my local fish store from a tank, but honestly think it was grown emersed before they got it cause I bought some water wisteria at the same time and it because all the leaves were round and not pinnate.

I was just worried those brown leaves were going to pollute my water and hurt my fish or even slow down my growth cause I read you should cut dead leaves off plants

Yeah, if you suspect it was grown emersed, it could take a little longer before it bounces back. I almost yanked mine all out when I first got it because it looked absolutely horrible. But I decided to just leave it, then all of a sudden it grew lush and healthy as can be.

If you can remove some brown leaves without pulling it all out, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd leave it because it gets delicate when it's melting. Just do partial water changes if you're worried about fouling the water with rotting plant matter. Shouldn't be a problem all too much.

Cool thanks man so your brown leaves turned green again? or did the plant just kinda get rid of them on its own?

Here's an old pic I took at various stages... you can see a decline from initial planting, then lush growth after. Think it took about a month or two... It's been a long time, can't recall exactly.

img_2735044_0_8ae3473fbc5ac6042012d9db0b18ffbc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom