Removing fish from planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to remove all the fish( 9 green neon tetras) from my 13 gallon planted tank and make it shrimp only. It has standard black gravel and the fish poo buildup in the gravel really seems to be good for the plants. If i remove the fish, will i have to use more root tabs/liquid ferts? Will that be okay for the shrimp?

I would like to remove all the fish( 9 green neon tetras) from my 13 gallon planted tank and make it shrimp only. It has standard black gravel and the fish poo buildup in the gravel really seems to be good for the plants. If i remove the fish, will i have to use more root tabs/liquid ferts? Will that be okay for the shrimp?

What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of plants? You may end up not needing any extra ferts, but just a rule of thumb, fish poo is not a great substitute since it doesn't provide several nutrients that root tabs and fertilizer include.

2x13 watt cfls. I have anubias, java fern, anacharis, and a few vals. Everything is doing well now and i dont want to mess everything up when making this change. The only thing that is struggling is some christmas moss ive had for a few months.

2x13 watt cfls. I have anubias, java fern, anacharis, and a few vals. Everything is doing well now and i dont want to mess everything up when making this change. The only thing that is struggling is some christmas moss ive had for a few months.

You may want to consider adding a root tab or two for the vals, but outside of that you may be fine. If the plants are doing well, no need to try and mess with things too much.

Good luck catching them. When I hear "catching fish" and "planted tank" in the same sentence...ugh. I have danios and they are quick.

Good luck catching them. When I hear "catching fish" and "planted tank" in the same sentence...ugh. I have danios and they are quick.

Well, no matter how hard it is to catch them, at least they aren't kuhli loaches :D Those things are the ultimate pain in the arse to catch, especially in heavily planted or decorated tanks.

Well, no matter how hard it is to catch them, at least they aren't kuhli loaches :D Those things are the ultimate pain in the arse to catch, especially in heavily planted or decorated tanks.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. If I add KLs the only way they are coming out is if I drain the tank or if they die of natural causes.
+1 on the root tabs. I have a planted shrimp tank with lots of moss and crypts and I only feed the substrate.

Two nets. That's how I do it. That or exhausting the fish...Not the nicest thing to do, but if you really need the fish out of the tank. Not something I'd do with tetras or danios, the stress will likely kill them. You could always get a larger predator and scoop him out in the morning. Errr, I mean, you should never do that!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The best I've found thus far is to trap them against the glass. Invariably I always "mow" or "pull up" something.

I've heard you can take a Coke bottle, cut off the bottle neck part, throw the cap away, and tape the bottle neck on backwards, put some food in it, and sink it until the fish swims in.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Any tips for getting mosses to grow? Like the look if it and its good for the shrimp, but just doesnt seem to want to grow? Mive it closer to lights?

Can he be overilluminating his moss? I hear that's easy to do sometimes.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom