Replacing my substrate w/ Eco-Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just redid a 5 gallon last night and replaced the red flint gravel with EC. No muss, no fuss, everybody's happy. I did this a few months ago on another tank and there were no spikes.

I. Hate. Planting. Corkscrew. Val. And. Dwarf. Sag. I would pay someone to do it, especially with no tweezers. Need 'em for Christmas!

the sand i used is made by geosystems. it comes in 22 pound bags for 22 bucks(canadian) which is a pretty good deal. the only problem is that the sand isnt quite as dark as the eco. unless u can get the sand for alot cheaper than the eco i say go with pure eco. or... if u can get it 3m makes a really nice black substrate for cheap. availability may be an issue though. the sand hasnt settled yet. it seems to be doing it alot slower than the just plain eco.

no real bacteria in eco complete. I like it, but I love the aqua soil... and I have replaced 1/3 my eco complete with that. much softer and easier to plant in.

Well. this is turning into a different question for me now...

What are my Substrate options? Do I have any white substrate options?

Should I mix ECO and Aqua Soil? For those using both of these... your thoughts and preferences? Since I will be tearing down everything, I want to use the substrate change out as a chance to try some new aquascaping concepts, but am still collecting inspiration for that... From that angle I am starting to lean towards a more fine substrate, perhaps more white than black....

Really I am just in my typical throws of indecision, but I want to open this up a bit to discuss all of my options:

Laterate mixed w/ something
Flourite - already use this 50/50 with older gravel
ECO Complete
ADA Aqua Soil
Onyx Sand
Power Sand
Standard Fair Aqua Gravel - out of the question
Standard Sand- probably not going to do this one either

--- Others? Pros and Cons?

i like my eco but i have heard lots of good things about ada aquasoil. its softer and easier to plant in and also has a really nice black looks to it like the eco. more of a sand appearance sompared to ecos earthy look. i would say if u can afford it go with the aquasoil.

Back
Top Bottom