Replacing Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to do a significant rearrangement of my 30g planted hex. I know this isn't a problem in itself, but I want to replace the substrate. There is small gravel there now and the plants are doing OK, but I need something deeper and I want something richer and darker colored. I have fluorite in my other two tanks, but I don't want to deal with too much dust because I don't think I'll be able to get "everyone out of the pool" for this change.
Also, I know a bunch of my nitrogen cycle happens in the substrate I have now.

Other factoids:
1. DIY CO2 feeds into a tube at the base of a powerhead. The tube contains Hagen ceramic bio-media for aggitating the water and adding some good surface area for bacterial growth.
2. I have a decent amount of decor that could be holding a bunch of bacteria too.
3. I have a 50-70gal Aquaclear filter with the same bio-media.

Is what I described enough to prevent a major nitrogen cycle shock if I replace most of the gravel substrate?

Thanks!

You will be fine with just the filter if the tank is well established. Put the fish and decor in a bucket and go for it. Just allow yourself enough time.

Back
Top Bottom