Requirements of low tech planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhimrulez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Pls can anyone suggest me what all things are required to create a low tech planted tank? It would be great help if someone can suggest me a good link where I can see the steps how to fill the substrate to the tank and what all ingredients need to be added along with substrate.

Pls can anyone suggest me what all things are required to create a low tech planted tank? It would be great help if someone can suggest me a good link where I can see the steps how to fill the substrate to the tank and what all ingredients need to be added along with substrate.

All depends on what way u want to go about it. Low techs can be very different and have many different methods.

I'll start with substrate, u have the choice between a nutrient rich substrate like soil, Ada soil, Tropica, flourite, stratum etc or a substrate that holds nutrients from the water column like Eco complete.

Any sand is fine or any normal gravel is fine. U can use root tabs to help fertilise plants at the roots in substrates like these.

A lot of low tech plants do better tied to driftwood or rocks. Java ferns of all types, mosses, anubias can all be tied or glued to the wood/rock so has no need for a nutrient rich substrate.

Crypts, bacopa, Amazon swords, buce, vals will all benefit from nutrients in the substrate but it is not a necessity.

Driftwood and rocks are a great addition to a low tech due to being able to attach the plants to them. Ferns and moss attached to wood can really make a nice scape.

Lighting: depends on the tank size and depth. If u want to go with fluro's over LED's then go for 1 or 2 t5 6500k bulbs.
If you prefer LED's then something dimmable like a finnex planted plus or a chihiros A serious is a good way to go. These lights are quiet strong so I'd be running them at level 1-2.
Beamworks is a cheaper option again but make sure u get a dimmable one.

Ferts: once again u have a few options. You can dose PPS pro dry salts (can be brought online) or EI with the same salts.
If this seems all abit confusing and u would prefer premixed off the shelf products then go with the seachem range (flourish,flourish excel,trace,iron) or thrive+ from nilcoG (an all in 1 fertiliser)

Dry salts are cheaper especially if u have a larger tank.

Filtration: general rule is 8-10x tank turn over per hour. Either with a HOB (hang on back) or a canister filter. Both are good but I prefer a canister with a spray bar.

Low tech plants: just google the first word and "species" to get images and info.
Crypts of all varietys
Vals of all varietys
Hygrophila' of most varietys
Buce
Bacopa
Java ferns of all types
Mosses of all types.

Good low tech carpets can be made from
Crypt parva and dwarf sag.

I'll post a few links that may help in the edit.

EI fert dosing:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-index-dosing-guide.html#/topics/15225?page=1

PPS pro fert dosing:
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

NilcoG thrive+
http://nilocg.com/thrive

Lights:
Finnex:
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/122237146406
Chihiros:
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/322355624931

Great post Bert. Anubias is another big family of plants. Lots to choose from.

Thanks champ! Yes I did forget anubias of all varietys. They can be a very nice touch to the tank. Especially anubias nana petite. A very small plant with a big impact.

Great post Bert. I would also add that depending on a number of factors a nutritious substrate decent bioload and fish food may provide the necessary nutrients. It all depends. Success is not guaranteed on initial startup but is nearly always something that has to be worked towards based on your system parameters.

All depends on what way u want to go about it. Low techs can be very different and have many different methods.

I'll start with substrate, u have the choice between a nutrient rich substrate like soil, Ada soil, Tropica, flourite, stratum etc or a substrate that holds nutrients from the water column like Eco complete.

Any sand is fine or any normal gravel is fine. U can use root tabs to help fertilise plants at the roots in substrates like these.

A lot of low tech plants do better tied to driftwood or rocks. Java ferns of all types, mosses, anubias can all be tied or glued to the wood/rock so has no need for a nutrient rich substrate.

Crypts, bacopa, Amazon swords, buce, vals will all benefit from nutrients in the substrate but it is not a necessity.

Driftwood and rocks are a great addition to a low tech due to being able to attach the plants to them. Ferns and moss attached to wood can really make a nice scape.

Lighting: depends on the tank size and depth. If u want to go with fluro's over LED's then go for 1 or 2 t5 6500k bulbs.
If you prefer LED's then something dimmable like a finnex planted plus or a chihiros A serious is a good way to go. These lights are quiet strong so I'd be running them at level 1-2.
Beamworks is a cheaper option again but make sure u get a dimmable one.

Ferts: once again u have a few options. You can dose PPS pro dry salts (can be brought online) or EI with the same salts.
If this seems all abit confusing and u would prefer premixed off the shelf products then go with the seachem range (flourish,flourish excel,trace,iron) or thrive+ from nilcoG (an all in 1 fertiliser)

Dry salts are cheaper especially if u have a larger tank.

Filtration: general rule is 8-10x tank turn over per hour. Either with a HOB (hang on back) or a canister filter. Both are good but I prefer a canister with a spray bar.

Low tech plants: just google the first word and "species" to get images and info.
Crypts of all varietys
Vals of all varietys
Hygrophila' of most varietys
Buce
Bacopa
Java ferns of all types
Mosses of all types.

Good low tech carpets can be made from
Crypt parva and dwarf sag.

I'll post a few links that may help in the edit.

EI fert dosing:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-index-dosing-guide.html#/topics/15225?page=1

PPS pro fert dosing:
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

NilcoG thrive+
http://nilocg.com/thrive

Lights:
Finnex:
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/122237146406
Chihiros:
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/322355624931
Thank you for a brief Reply.
I want to know a few more things about substrate. I have a moulded 29 gallon tank which looks like this.1492427321686.jpg1492427338190.jpg

1. Do you think this tank will workout for making it a low tech planted tank or I need buy a new open top tank?

2. If I'm going to use a 9L ADA substrate, at the time of filling / leveling the substrate inside the tank - Do I need mix some kind of fertilizers?(some aquarium shopkeepers told me that it is must to add a mid layer of fertilizers in substrate while adding substrate to the tank).

3. Is it possible to have guppy fishes in a planted tank with ADA substrate?(Heard from some people and read in some forums that PH will drop when using ADA subs)

4. Is it possible to do a fish-in cycle while I am using ADA subs?

4.a. If fish-in cycle is not possible then after how many days I can add the fish to the aquarium tank?(if fish in cycle wont work then I need borrow a 10 gallon tank from one of my friend).

I feel like if I keep on reading all the forums on Internet my whole life would not be enough for me to create a low tech planted setup. So I want to get some advice from experts like you guys to create my first planted aquarium.

Thanks.

Yeah I am gonna use Anubis Nana along with some driftwood. They are hard and I feel they dont decay like some typical plants.

You can have a top or an open top. You can cycle with ada sometimes its a little tougher. You can add ferts if you choose. Root tabs or osmocote plus are options. You can do fish in or fishless. If you go fishless ..how long till you add them is dependent on how long it takes to cycle.

Did you read the info in cycling new tank.

I have a 29 and all low tech with a sand substrate. Finnex Plant+ light and Sunsun 703b canister. IMG_8528.jpg

would like to add a good carpeting low tech plant (or high tech, mid tech) is PearlWeed

Yeah I am gonna use Anubis Nana along with some driftwood. They are hard and I feel they dont decay like some typical plants.

No plants will "decay" if all there needs are met. Plants like anubias, Java etc need to be attached to rocks and diftwood so the rhizome isn't cover (base) so they don't rot.

1, yes that tank is fine.

2, Ada will work without additional ferts as it is already a fertilised substrate.

3, u can do a fish in cycle or a fish out cycle but u will need to read up about the nitrogen cycle before u start. U will need an api master kit (water tests) to keep an eye on your parameters. I always suggest beginners start with fish out. Especially with a non hardy fish like guppys

You can get some used filter media from your friend if u keep it wet with his tank water for a boost in the cycle speed.

Research is key, make sure u have very good knowledge of how Ada will effect ph, what your ph is to start (so u know what your aiming for) etc.

Things won't work perfectly if it's your first tank but be confident and keep at it and you will be fine.

If you are going to do Anubis (or any other plant that does not send true roots into the substrate), the ADA seems a bit overkill. You could probably get away with sand, gravel, or other lesser costing substrate. Now if you do plan on putting in plants that will take advantage of this rich substrate, then the ADA is a solid choice.

Thank you for the brief reply. I'll keep posted on the progress.

There are two types of soil in ADA.
1.ADA Amazonia Aquasoil 9l Normal Type
2.ADA Amazonia Aquasoil 9l Powder Type

As I'm a beginer I am not sure which type I have to go for, so guys please can you suggest me which type of soil is suitable for a low tech tank.

There are two types of soil in ADA.
1.ADA Amazonia Aquasoil 9l Normal Type
2.ADA Amazonia Aquasoil 9l Powder Type

As I'm a beginer I am not sure which type I have to go for, so guys please can you suggest me which type of soil is suitable for a low tech tank.

I'm pretty sure most aquascapers use both. Normal and then powder over the top? I may be wrong but I think I've seen it in YouTube vids. Just normal will be fine by itself I recon.

I'm pretty sure most aquascapers use both. Normal and then powder over the top? I may be wrong but I think I've seen it in YouTube vids. Just normal will be fine by itself I recon.

I read the same thing with powder over regular. Would like to try this but it is a bit costly.
OP - Be prepared to do water changes if fish will be added early on as most ADA substrates will release ammonia. If you are doing a fishless cycle, then you will have a "free" ammonia source. I believe the exception is the newer Amazonia Light substrates.

Back
Top Bottom