rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started to rescape around 4pm today and while in the process decided to remove the ugf plate that was sitting under there(wasnt hooked up but previously was used with reverse flow) the brown crap was unbelieveable, I clear the water.

I start to move the flourite to make room for a gravel creek bed leading to my focal hardscape and while all the moving and bustling I busted up a kuhli nest, I cant say how many babies are there but I got a few black "kuhli's" at about an inch and a half or 3/4 maybe 2" if stretched but I was shocked, Id only seen two of them the past 4 months as in adult when I had 6, counted 5 adults and what appears to be 3-4 babies. They are ALL WHITE havnt gotten pigment yet or hadnt been out from under the plate ever. the light really startled the wee ones and the angels were really wanting to check them out.

I am replanting now and will take pics when done but just wanted to share the excitement, I texted the wife at work and she blew up on me.
I feel so loved LOL, but hot dam I got loach babies. I did plant some 1" pvc cut offs under the flourite with angle cut ends facing down so they dont fill up with gravel once I saw the babies.
:flasingsmile:

Whoa, your khuli loaches bred? wikipedia says there're no documented cases of that happening in aquaria!

Can you post pics?

yes, i am severly interested in this. Please post pics. Did they burrow? What kind of substrate you have?

I am using flourite red the plain 20 dollar bag stuff. If I can get pics I will I saw em for a few seconds, by the time my daughter could get my dad they were hiding again. They do burrow but I did have the ugf plate in there that left a gap for them and a tube going from under the plate(notched) to the substrate surface.

It is literally 2" long stretched and white, its gills are pink and you can see two pink organs on its underside right behind its gill slits. The only reason I saw it well was the water was dirtier the dirt water.

If I have to tear the tank down again I will to find them but These are BLACK "KUHLI" Loaches, they are not true kuhli loaches they are pangia oblonga's they have been bred in tanks under difficult to none.

I picked up some very smooth pea gravel today I am going to put in my 15g on the 4th(ye dare not touch thy fish tanks on thy wedding anniversary, its the 11th commandment) and transfer what I can catch over there or just go get a dozen or so more and yes UGF plate in that one with tube again, if it works im gonna go for it, I also got bigger rocks like decent skipping stones I might layer down in there as well, might be easier for them.

Either way its free fish, its the best kinds of fish.

I wanna see pics too! I have the brown ones "java" and heard they won't breed in home aquaria, but the way you describe them sounds exactly like the ones I have, just a different color!

i've read about them reproducing on some forums. all cases like that where they burrowed and reproduced, sometimes people thought that the couple of adults that they had were all dead untill things get stirred up a bit. its not very common.

kinda like otos. they are thought to be impossible to breed too but i know of someone on a forum that has a journal about breeding them.

mine have a little white dot at the base of their tails on their spine. check loaches.com they got the species info there with breeding info if any. some guy in jersey is listed as a sucessful breeder of the oblonga's with pics.

I need to get my lunar lights fast, I want to see these little buggers again.
I do see alot more activity from my loaches when my neons and cardinals are more active. They did have the obsession with swimming thru and around my fingers when I was planting my newly discovered acre of crypts. I will get pics once the tank settles and I make sure its what I want. I am trying to do velcro DIY backgrounds with fabrics, and making neat ones with camo and sheer black with bright green behind it, alot of it looks dumb but I do realize there is no background in these new pics Ill post in the morning in this thread.

I am just going to replicate the tank exactly I think just use a smaller powerhead and see what they do, I will go clean the place out of them. I will get the banded true kuhlis too and see, my corydoras are mixing species but not successful hatches but they are all chasing the fatty dragging eggs.

and ill breed em, if its an excuse to set up more tanks, ill take the challenge lol

Back
Top Bottom