Rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got sick of my old scape because the plants got too tall and i couldn't see half the fish. So I tore it down today and completely re did it. I sold one of the 2 sword plants today for 25$ lol. And put my driftwood at its side. I also spray painted my white backround black. Tell me what you guys think. I also got a 4 light fixture T5-HO. I used to have a 2 bulb t8. Looks dim in the picture for some strange reason... but its much brighter in real life.

Attachments

• 20171113_172724.jpg
    20171113_172724.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0840.jpg
    DSC_0840.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 103
Can’t beat the colours of t5’s if u ask me, that’s why Dutch scapers use them over LED’s.

Love the new scape, looks great! [emoji106] if I was to say anything about it (constructive criticism) I’d say the swords too invasive and I’d sell it and go for some lower mid/ foreground plants to make the driftwood coming down from the top the main focus. [emoji106]

Can’t beat the colours of t5’s if u ask me, that’s why Dutch scapers use them over LED’s.

Love the new scape, looks great! [emoji106] if I was to say anything about it (constructive criticism) I’d say the swords too invasive and I’d sell it and go for some lower mid/ foreground plants to make the driftwood coming down from the top the main focus. [emoji106]

Very nice. Have to agree with Bert. That sword is taking my attention away from the creativity of the left side.

I was thinking the same haha but i dont have any plants to put there yet, and don't want it to be empty. But i am planning on selling it also. Thanks All

I would also look into 1 or two species of easy going stem plants to help compliment the broad leaves species you have. I think some Rotala or lloydiella would help soften the edges of some larger leaved plants.

If you're looking to replace the sword, look for maybe a smaller verity, or a larger crypt but if it were I, I would look into Lagenandra Meeboldii 'Red'

Edit: Forgot to mention the tank looks great!

Thanks... Yes i think i will sell this sword and look into gettting some more medium-high light plants with my new light fixture... also what carpets could I grow with this light? The tank is 25 inches high light fixture is 2 inches from water and the light fixture is a 4 bulb T5-HO at 56 watts a bulb. Thanks.. And what plants can this light grow?

Thanks... Yes i think i will sell this sword and look into gettting some more medium-high light plants with my new light fixture... also what carpets could I grow with this light? The tank is 25 inches high light fixture is 2 inches from water and the light fixture is a 4 bulb T5-HO at 56 watts a bulb. Thanks.. And what plants can this light grow?

I'll give you a list of plants I am keeping/plan on keeping, its about 50% medium light 50% high light, maybe a few low lights in there. Check em out and see if you like them.

ammania bonsai
rotala macrandra
rotala walichii
staurogyne repens
alternanthera reineckii mini
anubias nana petite
green wavy buce
Ammannia gracilis
cryptocoryne lutea "hobbit"
cryptocoryne parva
hygrophila pinnatifida
red melon sword
Proserpinaca palustris
Rotala 'Colorata'
Gratiola viscidula
monte carlo
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Barclaya longifolia 'red form'
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne albida
Ludwigia arcuate
Ludwigia palustris
Mayaca fluviatilis
Myriophyllum tuberculatum 'Red'
Nesea pedicellata 'Golden'
Ludwigia Cuba

You could probably keep all these under your lighting, they would just need a lot of ferts/CO2.

A decent carpet would be glosso or monte carlo, they just need decent CO2 to form a good carpet.

Because your tank is tall, you could go with a Lilaeopsis species, dwarf hairgrass or a dwarf sage "carpet". DO NOT let the sag "carpet" get too thick because they will choke themselves out and starve the substrate of all nutrients. Ask me how I know :cool:

If money was not involved, I would absolutely love to see 1000+ crypt parva or crypt lutea "hobbit" manually planted to form a carpet, man oh man one day I want to try that on a taller tank.... my 90 gallon is just asking me to try that.... one day perhaps.

Anyway, that's my list of higher light plants I personally like. :whistle:

Wow thanks for the list, I will look through it haha wow thats a lot of plants and thanks guys only took me 2 years to figure out aquascaping haha finally starting to figure it out a little....

Staurogyne repens... I like this plant a lot. Would I be able to grow it with liquid co2 and my lights. Proserpinaca palustris I also have this plant didn't know it could turn red!! Mine is in another tank and its growing really slow and its green. Im going to try and put it in the 60!! Thanks for the list very helpful..

Staurogyne repens... I like this plant a lot. Would I be able to grow it with liquid co2 and my lights. Proserpinaca palustris I also have this plant didn't know it could turn red!! Mine is in another tank and its growing really slow and its green. Im going to try and put it in the 60!! Thanks for the list very helpful..

No problem, I already had it typed up and was a simple copy n' paste ;)

You probably could grow S. repens without CO2, worth a shot for sure. It will be more lanky and less compact without CO2, but probably doable

I am looking at buying a 25 pound co2 cylinder and gauge for 80 bucks tomorrow. Would i have any problems if i have high light and pressurized co2... As in algae problems?

I am looking at buying a 25 pound co2 cylinder and gauge for 80 bucks tomorrow. Would i have any problems if i have high light and pressurized co2... As in algae problems?

Usually when I set up a new tank, I have to play around with the light:CO2:Fertilizer balance. During this time algae may or may not show up, but once you dial in a good balance of those, algae is much less concerning.

My little 5.5 gallon has a tremendous amount of light, good CO2 and fertilizer balance, and I haven't scrubbed the glass for algae in 4 weeks.

A 25lb tank should last you quite a while, I would probably build or buy an inline reactor to make the most of the CO2 on larger tanks. (assuming you have a canister filter??)

You'll want good quality check valves, a bubble counter for reference, maybe a drop checker too.

Remember, slowly dial up the CO2 once a day, if you see fish gasping at the surface, dial it down a smidgen and that would probably be your max.

I'm a big CO2 fan, even on low light tanks, in my experience it makes tank maintenance easier, plants grow so much better, algae is much less of a concern, and therefore it makes the overall experience simpler once I have it dialed in, I just have to make an extra stop to fill up the tank from time to time.

Heres the cylinder and gauges... it was used for gardening before so im not sure how good these gauges are, any ideas? and what would i need to purchase for this gauge to connect it to my aquarium. So far I have nothing, buying the cylinder tomorrow with the gauge thats included and thats it. What do i buy?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.52.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.52.43 PM.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom