Rescaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone. I picked up 6 ottos yesterday, and they are now in the tank alone. tried feeding them some spinach today and I'm wondering how long it generally takes for them to realize that the food is there. Anchored the leaf to the bottom of the tank whole, it has been in there for three hours or so now with no response. They have been grazing on the small amount of algae, as well as the driftwood in the tank, so I'm not worried yet. Will be monitoring tank peramiters and their feeding over the next few days and will keep record of it. Going to try zucchini tomorrow and then algae wafers the day after.

Ottos have been in for two full days now, are still grazing on the driftwood, but have run out of algae to eat. Still no sign of them eating anything I put into the tank, although they are schooling very well, they are fairly inactive during the day, but swimming freely at night. Any suggestions on feeding? Their bellies are still full so I believe they are still quite healthy.

Go get some rocks or stones that you can drop into a glass and cover in tank water. Allow the glass with stone and tank water to sit on the windowsill in the sun light.

This will grow some algae in the meantime. Oto's main food source is algae. And they make quick work of it in a tank. You may get them to eat some algae wafers in the meantime.

Jon

Great idea, I will get that started right away, and will be picking up some wafers today. Thanks!

Ottos are eating and looking lovely, although their fins are yet to raise, hoping they perk up in the next few days as they get settled.

Everything has been transferred to a 20g long! It is a tank I didn't have set up until a bit ago. Moved all of the plants and fish into it.

Lighting is a 48w t5ho fixture, 2x24w 6700k bulbs

Ac30 filter, planted with dwarf water
bamboo(pond plant)

Heater is a low wattage tetra, and still a bit too warm for my tank, apartment is hot in the summer and tank sits at around 80-82, looking into fans to cool the lights. Would just remove the heater, but the weather varies too much here and the tank temp would just wind up inconsistent.

Fluorite black sand substrate

Plants are the same aside from one:
2 crypt wendetti?
1 amazon sword
2 melon sword(I believe, too small to really tell they all but died off in the 5g)
3 anubias nana petite
1 anubias barteri-new
Micro sword

Current fish are:
6 ottos
2 male black phantom tetras- will either be rehoming or adding more, can't decide which yet

Attachments

• image-2698711179.jpg
    image-2698711179.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 125
JakeVS said:
Everything has been transferred to a 20g long! It is a tank I didn't have set up until a bit ago. Moved all of the plants and fish into it.

Lighting is a 48w t5ho fixture, 2x24w 6700k bulbs

Ac30 filter, planted with dwarf water
bamboo(pond plant)

Heater is a low wattage tetra, and still a bit too warm for my tank, apartment is hot in the summer and tank sits at around 80-82, looking into fans to cool the lights. Would just remove the heater, but the weather varies too much here and the tank temp would just wind up inconsistent.

Fluorite black sand substrate

Plants are the same aside from one:
2 crypt wendetti?
1 amazon sword
2 melon sword(I believe, too small to really tell they all but died off in the 5g)
3 anubias nana petite
1 anubias barteri-new
Micro sword

Current fish are:
6 ottos
2 male black phantom tetras- will either be rehoming or adding more, can't decide which yet

Hi jakeVS

Tank looks good.

However with 48w of T5HO over a 20g you're seriously gonna need ferts. You may even need to plant it some more with other plants.

I would also start looking into Co2 (DIY is fine) just incase algae gets a strong hold in your tank.

With the plants you currently have 1x24w T5HO would have been sufficient to grow them.

If too much algae starts to form then don't think that its due to too much nutrients in the water column. It can be caused by not enough.

I use Micro Nutrients and a potassium supplement in my 50g. I dose nutrients every other day. I have 60w of T8 6700k.

If I had more light on my tank I would be using Co2 and more than likely Macro nutrients too. NPK.

Other than this GREAT looking tank.

Jon

I have been using flourish comprehensive and excel, that is about it for now. Trying to get my hands on some dry ferts, but KNO3 is banned in Canada. Was given some alternative suggestions for that, and I am looking into them right now. Pressurized CO2 should be purchased next month, and will hopefully be up and running by the end of September! Algae has still been growing, but manageable for now, the ottos do a lot to help me with that though. I'm thinking about bringing the school up to 10-12, and considering what other fish I would like to have in there. Was hoping for glass catfish, but they seem a bit big for the tank.

Thanks for the feedback!

DIY co2 will be going in today, built with a 2L bottle and a syringe as the drop checker. Still looking for a subtle and effective diffuser. Would it be worthwhile for me to order a glass one, if I have plans for pressurized co2?

DIY co2 in for 4 days, and already seeing huge results with my micro sword. Still need a better method of diffusing, losing huge amounts of co2 because it isn't diffusing properly.

My micro sword is finally starting to form a good looking carpet in that front left corner, and now I want to move it.. Here is a pic of the current progress:

image-3215385147.jpg

But I think it might look good if I could get a nice thick carpet surrounding the DW. Would probably have to find a way to balance out the look of the front left corner, any suggestions?

I was cleaning my tank today, and noticed a huge amount of white mold around my co2 diffuser. Any ideas what the cause could be? Last water change was 30% 2 days ago, vacuumed the tank during it and haven't noticed any over feeding or excess materials lying around.

JakeVS said:
I was cleaning my tank today, and noticed a huge amount of white mold around my co2 diffuser. Any ideas what the cause could be? Last water change was 30% 2 days ago, vacuumed the tank during it and haven't noticed any over feeding or excess materials lying around.

Aren't you using DIY co2?

If so it could be some of the fermenting liquor has made it's way down through your system.

Just to be safe I would make up a new batch of yeast and sugar water or whatever you're using and clean your tubing and diffuser with a mild bleach solution then dechlorinate everything and replace.

Jon

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take care of that today. I removed all of the mold that day and it has already started to build up again.

JakeVS said:
Still mold. Rebuild co2?

Can you get a pic just to see what your seeing?

I'm thinking if its cloudy white it could possibly be bacteria colonising the surfaces.

Jon

Hey Jon,

Sorry, I thought I had posted one with the original issue, definitely white and cloudy. I have been cleaning it every second day or so, and the growth rate has decreased. Here is the photo from the second post, cleaned it all out today. I have seen this referred to as white mold in other threads, but that may have been incorrect information.

image-3484100063.jpg

Jake

The white fuzzy stuff at the bottom of the tube?

If cleaning it regularly isn't stopping it from returning I would wait it out a small period of time and see whether it gets any better.

Jon

Hey Jon

Sorry it took me so long to reply, the issue slowly cleared up with daily cleaning and has been gone for 4 days. Thanks so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom