Researching new build - 26g Bow Front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just getting started with my research on building a new planted tank. Here are some considerations and questions.

Equipment:
26g Bow Front (all I have room for)
Fluval 206/306

Substrate:
Eco Complete fine black

Flora (low/medium light):
Java ferns
Anubias
Crypts

Fauna:
1 x Oto
2 x Panda Cory
2 x Honey Gourami
2 x GBR (something to strive for)
6 x Cardinal/Neon Tetras
3 x Silver Hatchets

As I said above, I'm just beginning my research. I see that a lot of members have similar setups and I want to ease into it because I've only done it badly before and I've never tried to keep plants. Once I can cycle appropriately and begin to keep some things alive I might step up my game with CO2, some hot lights and more difficult plants, but I really want to keep things simple (but scalable) for now.

Questions:
1. What lighting will I need? Keep the T8 that comes with the hood and get a good bulb (6500k)? Am I asking for an algae problem if I went with Finnex Fuge Ray with the above set up? It seems a T5 HO fixture would be hotter, but this tank is a little deeper than the wide variety.

2. The Fluval 206 seem more than adequate, but would a 306 be overkill and provide too much current?

Thanks in advance. This is such a fantastic and encouraging community!

I just setup my 26g BF in December. I have the 306 and it's perfect. I do throttle it down a bit with the flow control. The 206 would be adequate.. I bought the 306 because i got it on black Friday for less than the 206. Either will do, but I'd still get the 306 if the difference in price is negligible.

The FugeRay will be fine for those low light plants you have planned. I'm not sure how the stock T8 will be, but if i had to guess, it was really designed to just see fish. At most, it will keep your low light plants alive but you'll have minimal growth if any at all.

I use the Ray2 but inject co2 and dose dry ferts (micros and macros) via the PPS-Pro method. But this sounds like more than what you want to do so the Fugeray would fit the bill. You can just dose with flourish comp and excel until you learn more in the hobby.

Otherwise a cheap Aqueon T5NO fixture from Petsmart would suffice for low light plants. It comes with two bulbs but when you factor in swapping the colormax bulb for a 6500k daylight bulb and having to buy a glass versa top, the added cost of buying the Fugeray becomes more attractive. Not to mention the lower power consumption of LED's, not having to buy replacement bulbs EVER, and the slim Fugeray will fit on the stock hood of the Aqueon 26g BF.

You can check out my thread on my 26g build. It might help you or inspire some questions you may have for me...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

@Brian_Nano12g - I did see your thread and I was hoping you would respond. It's a great resource and your tank looks fantastic. I was wondering about mounting the FugeRay without the versa top, but I see you were able to make that work without using the "mounting feet" with your Ray2 since the stock Aqueon 26g BF top has the splash guard. I suppose I can do something similar. Thanks very much!

I'm not married to the plants I mentioned above. I'm just not too familiar with low/mod types, yet. I would just like to avoid the complexity of CO2 until I gain some experience. Until then, I'll try to make it work with root tabs and supplements.

Back
Top Bottom