restarting my planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been a member of this site for over 6 years and during that time I have invested untold amounts of money and to many hours to count on aquatic macrophytes.

Over the past 3 years, I have let my tanks just sit there and not much of anything else. Several weeks ago, I got the 'bug' again and started revamping my tanks.

This will be my journal of how my tanks went from garbage to tanks that people will enjoy again.

Here is the starting pictures of the tanks:

75 gallon
9826-albums6967-picture35684.jpg

28 gallon
9826-albums6967-picture36082.jpg

Nice to see you back here. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how your tanks progress.

Last week I FINALLY changed the Eco-complete back to PFS that I enjoyed when I started this journey. I also recieved dozens of plant species from Peyton a couple of days ago.

Here is what I currently have in this tank:

Blyxa japonica
Echinodorus bleheri 'Compacta'
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Eleocharis acicularis
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'
Limnophila aromatica
Lindernia sp. 'India'
Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form'
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia palustris
Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin'
Lysimachia nummularia "creeping jenny"
Marsilea spp. (quadrifolia)
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow leaf'
Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Persicaria praetermissa
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria sp. 'Sao Paulo'
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'
Proserpinaca palustris
Riccia fluitans
Rotala Gia Lai
Rotala macrandra 'Green'
Staurogyne sp. ‘Porto Velho’
Taxiphyllum barbieri

9826-albums6967-picture36084.jpg

I am keeping the algae on the back glass rightnow to ensure my algae eaters have something to consume while I continue to clean up the tank.

Most of the plants are currently spread out so I can get them growing faster. Once I start getting enough of them to bunch up, I will start setting up the scaping of the tank.

One of the few that made it in this attention deprived tank was Hydrocotyle verticillata. Here it is today all happy:

9826-albums7389-picture36087.jpg

Here is the 28 gallon. Same as the 75, changed the Eco-complete back to PFS.
Here is what is currently in this tank:

Anubias barteri var. 'Nana'
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Bacopa monnieri
Echinodorus bleheri 'Compacta'
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Ludwigia repens
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow leaf'
Taxiphyllum barbieri

9826-albums6967-picture36085.jpg

Changed the reactor over to something smaller. I will be transfering some of the species over to this tank once I get some decent growth from them.

I can't wait to see the progress!

Me to! I sit and watch the tanks all day long and nothing is growing. :)

I can't wait until I have enough mass to start scaping.

Now all I need is some driftwood and maybe some rocks.

It is kinda nice seeing all the O2 bubbling up again.

Welcome back! Good to see you again. That is quite a species list for the 75. It will be interesting to see it all grown in in a couple months...

rkilling1 said:
One of the few that made it in this attention deprived tank was Hydrocotyle verticillata. Here it is today all happy:

Now that is one happy plant, just beautiful!

Just a small update. Starting to see some GDA. Nothing unexpected. Ordered some Driftwood and once it's come in, I will start scaping.

9826-albums6967-picture36345.jpg

Nice to see a name that I remember getting back into the game. I have just recently started up my 75 again and have been lurking around here again. Your tank is really starting to look good. Always enjoyed watching your tanks.

Just received my driftwood. It will take some time to become soaked, so it's just sitting in there for the time being.

9826-albums6967-picture36629.jpg

rkilling1 said:
Just received my driftwood. It will take some time to become soaked, so it's just sitting in there for the time being.

Looking good! That's a great looking piece of wood!

rkilling1 said:

That is indeed a handsome piece of driftwood my friend. Can't wait to see this tank when its all done :)

Hi rkilling your tank is amazing i have 2 questions where do you get wood like that and what are the large plants at the back. Cheers good luck with your tank

Back
Top Bottom