Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Restoration of an Attention Deprived Tank

It has been a long time since I have been active in the aquatic hobby. I have kept my tanks running and healthy, but they are not at their full potential. I have 2 tanks. A 7.9 gallon (fluval flora) it houses 1 killifish, lots of Java moss, dwarf baby tears, and dwarf hair grass. I also have a 90 gallon tank that houses: 3 Kerri tetras, 5 neon tetras, 2 fancy rosy barbs, 1 silver hatchet fish, 5 hliquen rasboras, 3 dwarf neon rainbows, 2 upside down catfish, 2 SAE, and 1 killifish. The 90 gallon is equipped with a Fluval FX5 and a Fluval 305, a 4 bulb T5-HO Catalina fixture, pressurized co2, and auto PPS pro dosers. As you will see in the picture this tank is nothing close to its potential and I am looking for Aquarium Advice's help to male it look better. Just recently I started using the CO2 and PPS pro (again). And the tank is having a bit of a hard time adjusting, I have started to notice some green spot algae . I will post a picture and I would appreciate constructive criticism form you experts of AA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120401_194815.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	86337   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120401_194848.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	86338  

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How bout painting the back or a background, restock your tank with all new fish, and add some type of root system/driftwood to give it more dimension

Edit* also maybe a very natural riverstone cave/cliff on one end of the tank

Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the idea of some driftwood (or something to give it depth). Any suggestions as to a website to order driftwood? (My local pet stores don't have any good driftwood). Also any ideas to some kind of plants that would help liven things up?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Nice to hear from you fishfanatic. I just restored some of my tanks as well. Just got done cleaning the filter on my 75 gallon that was last cleaned... maybe 4 months (or more) ago. I didn't have the heart to take a picture of the tank though.

I added KNO3 for the first time in many (many) months. We will see what happens.

I am looking forward to your progress. I know I will have my own issues to deal with.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilling1
Nice to hear from you fishfanatic. I just restored some of my tanks as well. Just got done cleaning the filter on my 75 gallon that was last cleaned... maybe 4 months (or more) ago. I didn't have the heart to take a picture of the tank though.

I added KNO3 for the first time in many (many) months. We will see what happens.

I am looking forward to your progress. I know I will have my own issues to deal with.
We will just have to keep motivating eachother

I have noticed lately that my fluval FX5 is getting a lot of air stuck in it. I am wondering if the CO2 is 'off gassing' inside the filter. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to avoid it from happening?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I go peruse The Planted Tank for inspiration also Aquascaping World
My club members have some awesome tanks. Tom Barr is one of my club members. I just love looking at my tanks. I'm lazy though and go for low light/low tech tanks. But here is mine, messy but I like it.
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair
I go peruse The Planted Tank for inspiration also Aquascaping World
My club members have some awesome tanks. Tom Barr is one of my club members. I just love looking at my tanks. I'm lazy though and go for low light/low tech tanks. But here is mine, messy but I like it.
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube
Messy nothing! I think that is a very nice tank! I love the plant combinations, they compliment eachother nicely. Also thread fins are some of my favorite fish (I have never had one in my tanks but they sure are pretty). If it isn't too much to ask can i get a list of some plants in your tank? One of my big problems is I don't know what kind of plants to get...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a lot of Crypts.
C. retrospiralis
C. lucens
Bolbitis (sp.?)
Bacopa caroliniana ?
Dwarf Red Tiger Lily
C. wendtii "Mi Oya" (2) center bronze plants
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllium mattagrossense
Java Moss
Subwassertang
Fissidens fonatanus
Chain Sword
Floaters- Amazon Frogbit, Duckweed
Ludwigia "Red"
Moss ball
plus other stuff, several kinds of Moss
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Both are beautiful. Like the Bonsai effect of the 7.9 gl. I would pay that some special attention as it has so much potential as a showpiece.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The dwarf red tiger Lilly really looks nice! Would the plants you listed above do alright with higher light?

It was mentioned earlier that 'high tech' tanks are a lot of work, I consider my tank 'high tech' but it doesn't seem to be that much work. Am I doing something wrong?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com