Reviving a planted 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the last year my life has been pretty crazy and my tanks have suffered because of it. Now that I'm past the hectic-ness and settle for a while I'm ready to get my tanks back in shape. I have what used to be a lightly planted 10 gallon tank. Sand substrate, low light, no tech, java ferns, anubias nana, and a little dwarf hair grass. I was online yesterday searching for the best deal on root tabs (normally use seachem flourish tabs) and I came across great deals on osmocote root tabs for aquariums. I've used osmocote in gardens and house plants, but never thought about it for a tank. Has anyone here used them before? How did they compare to other tabs like seachem and api?

Here's the product in question
100 Osmocote Plus Root Tabs for Aquatic Plants Plus Free Shipping | eBay

Thanks to those who have messaged with me about the Osmocote tabs. I should be receiving a shipment of them today. I also ordered some plants from a member here, hope they get there today also.

My plan when I get home tonight, provided my plumbing cooperates (long story) I will be doing an extra water change and putting in root tabs to help the existing plants. Of course if the new plants come in today, I'll add them too.

Currently that tank has 3 neon tetras, but I plan to either move those to a smaller tank, or rehome them soon. Once they are out of the 10 I plan to add a couple dwarf puffers and maybe a couple other fish. I would love to have your feedback on this plan.

2x Dwarf puffer http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/dwarf-indian-puffer-carinotetraodon-travancoricus/
3x Otos http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/dwarf-otocinclus-otocinclus-vittatus/
1-2x Asian Stone cat http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/asian-stone-cat-hara-jerdoni/

adding fish

Love the idea of dwarf puffers! I would not over crowd with a ten gallon. I have 2 bolivian rams and 2 thread fins and 4 neons in a 39 gallon and im already feeling like I dont want to add many more members except snails and shrimp. I so want some dwarf puffers. Do not know if they would do well with the fish i have.:D
Good Luck!

Fishdreamz

They certainly wouldn't do in your set up. Most say that they will pick on pretty much all fish, but I'm seeing lots that keep them with it is without an issue. The site I have linked actually does a package deal with the above listed species, that's why I'm even considering all 3.

puffers

:)Yeah I figured you would say that especially because rams and tread fins dont like to be messed with. I guess just wishful thinking. Ill have to do another set up for some puffers. Plants always help for hiding places.

Fishdreamz

I got my tabs and plants today! I'm so excited. I have them all planted and there's hardly any room in between them now. Once the water settles back down and I'm certain good roots are forming I'll get some pics up.

Back
Top Bottom