Rewiring lights/increasing light output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Today I got a hood and light from Petsmart, and the fixture is for fluorescent light. Unfortunately, the light output is only 15W - can I upgrade it to higher wattage by changing the bulb or do I have to rewire the entire fixture? If I have to rewire the fixture, how would I do it?

Thanks,

Hunter

I'm guessing you'd need to replace the ballast and the endcaps, but I haven't done much work with lights.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep it as it is. It's actually 17W instead of 15W so I guess it should be ok for low/med light plants.

Yeah, there's no way to "rewire" it to make it drive a more powerful bulb. You can buy plant specific bulbs if that's what you're lookin for.

That is not correct corrado, you can overdrive flourescent bulbs with a different Ballast. For instance a VHO ballast.

I am guessing that this is a T8 tube about 20". It was made for the low heat environ of such a bulb. you will melt the plastic and possibly (most likely) cause a fire if you try to change the bulb or overdrive it.

If you want more light, please spend the money on a T5 fixture. Not only will you be safer, but the light output is insane compared to the T8. If you can get one with individual reflectors, it will satisfy any of your needs.

I agree with Cabezon.

It is possible to rewire the fixture to use a higher power ballast, so you can look at retrofit kits, though.

Ah, I thought he meant basically just moving some wiring around to get more light, using the same ballast. Of course replacing the ballast would give you more light, as long as you know what you're doin lol

I'm not that comfortable with wiring etc. The closest I've gotten is changing a few plugs and light switches around the house. I turned off the entire level's fuse box and even considered wearing rubber gloves :p.

It's a 10 gallon? You know, if you really do just want a low/med light tank (and this is smart to limit growth on a small tank), give your bulb and ballast a shot. If it's possible, think about how you can use a little sunlight to help out the plants. It doesn't have to be direct unobstructed sunlight or anything (in fact, that would make it hard), and don't be afraid to cut down light by adjusting blinds or something. But a little sunlight can help a lot.

Instead, I'd suggest spending your DIY time on CO2 -- good CO2 makes everything easier and is the most important thing to your plants.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom