Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rhizomes?

Hello! (I submitted this thread in the getting started category earlier on accident, so I submitted it in the planted tank category). I just put live plants (crypt and java fern) in my tank (cycled). I was wondering what/where rhizomes are. I have two java ferns and I am aware that the plant will rot if the rhizomes are put in gravel. I was wondering if I planted them correctly. Of course I chose a spot in my tank for the java fern that is right above my power filter. Is this okay? (I had to stick the roots in kind of deep in the gravel so they don't float around the tank and I'm hoping I didn't bury the rhizomes). Thanks!

Attachment 180644

Attachment 180646

Attachment 180648

Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rhizome is the long green root looking thing that the leaves grow out from. Just make sure that part is above the substrate.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post
The rhizome is the long green root looking thing that the leaves grow out from. Just make sure that part is above the substrate.
It's kind of hard to tell where the rhizome is because the brown roots are covering it…Do you think it looks ok? Is it normal for there to be brown/black spots on the leaves?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, the brown spots are normal. Another thing to do if you're not sure is just tie the roots to a piece of driftwood or decoration and eventually the fern will attach itself to that. The rhizome takes nutrients from the water column so it doesn't even need to be near the substrate.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rhizome grows mostly horizontally and the leaves grow up out of it and the roots grow mostly down out of it and its thicher than the the leaf stalks and roots and it will rot if buried

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com