riccia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think that this is an absolutly beautiful plant! I have 2 questions about it, The first is about lighting, what kind of lighting does it need? I have a 55 gal. with about 2.5 wpg, would that be enough? My second question is how do you get it to stay in the substrate or where you want it? I know it doesn't root so i'm kinda confused. TIA

2.5 wpg in a 55G should be just enough to grow Riccia. Any less and you might have trouble. CO2 is also a necessity. It should be kept in the 20+ ppm range to grow Riccia properly. Without it the Riccia will be dark and scraggly and simply won't pearl.

My favorite way to keep Riccia is to use large (3-4" diameter) flat rocks, spread the Riccia on top of them in a thin, even layer, place a hairnet tightly over the top of this, and secure it on the underside with a cable tie. In less than a week the Riccia will have started growing through the hairnet and you will begin to see pearling. And the best part is you can simply pick the rock up and take it out of the tank to trim it and move it around with ease :)

Do you think Riccia is a good choice to cover eggcrate? Will it fall through a grid with ~9/16" holes? Should I lay the Riccia between the eggcrate and window screen/hairnet, or will I need hairnet above and below it? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom