riccia fluitans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Here Fishy Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I purchased a small amount of riccia fluitans to grow and then use to carpet my tank and a few other random things (heard it can double in a week). At first I just dropped it in the tank thinking it would float in a blob nicely at the top. It only took about 3sec for it to find it's way in front of the power head and it went every where, filter intake, power head intakes, and strands floating all over. It took a 1/2 hour to recollect what took 3 sec to come apart. I only got a small amount and wanted to let it grow but I need a better way. I have it in a mesh bag of sorts floating in the tank but in think that is restricting light. I am ready to just purchase the amount I need but really don't want to. Any ideas on how to grow and not stop up my filter?? Thanks for any help.

Riccia is very nice but what a pain! I know what your going through lol. The best way that I hve seen riccia grown into a carpet is by getting some sort of mesh and putting the riccia under the mesh nd tying it onto what you want carpeted (usually a rock or dw). Its a pain but usually worth it!

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Riccia stones are good along with the mesh idea I prefer the stone method as it's better to scape with

Ya, I have the mesh all ready to go and I know how to put it on rocks and drift wood but I was hoping to let the little ball I have grow into a bigger ball so that I have more before it did that. That way I would have enought to cover everything. Right now I only have enough to cover a small corner. If I put it under the mesh and let it grow thru can I trim the part that grows thru and use the trimmings to plant a new sections or will the trimmings just die? Thanks

The trimmings should grow. From what I haveseen this plants is like java moss duckweed so even little pieces can multiply

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Exactly true Riccia fluitans does reproduce onle long enough trim of the excess and re attatch to driftwood:mesh/Riccia stones

Back
Top Bottom