>>> Rimless 10 wabi-kusa tank build thread<<<

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicalmackdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
After tearing down my 10 gallon I wanted to have a lush green setup without having constant maintenance that a high-tech tank calls for, because my high school homework has been HEAVY. So i turned to a paludariums, but i felt that to was to much work, so then the idea clicked in my head that a wabi-kusa tank would be amazing!
I plan on using ADA la plata sand and yamata stone.

Attachments

• image-782208940.jpg
    image-782208940.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 208
  • image-2340572832.jpg
    image-2340572832.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 200
Oh, and what is a quality light for emmersed? I currently have a 24" catalina single bulb fixture, 6500k, 24w. If thats resting almost right on the top of the tank, is that enough?

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Oh, and what is a quality light for emmersed? I currently have a 24" catalina single bulb fixture, 6500k, 24w. If thats resting almost right on the top of the tank, is that enough?

That's probably plenty. The reflectors on Catalina fixtures are top notch. You're probably getting at least 50% more light than most other fixtures, even more compared to more subpar reflectors. Emersed setups are extremely forgiving, as they are usually light limited rather than nutrient (commonly CO2) limited as in CO2.

aqua_chem said:
That's probably plenty. The reflectors on Catalina fixtures are top notch. You're probably getting at least 50% more light than most other fixtures, even more compared to more subpar reflectors. Emersed setups are extremely forgiving, as they are usually light limited rather than nutrient (commonly CO2) limited as in CO2.

Awesome! Glad i dont need to spend $50 bucks on a new light, just got some seiryu stone for my 60P maybe i need to start a journal for that one to ;)

Attachments

• image-241830618.jpg
    image-241830618.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 137
Alright, decided im going to order a custom piece of glass for the top instead of saran wrap.
Anybody know of a good place to order from?

Rimless 10 next to my half finished ADA stand and 60P

Attachments

• image-4261222220.jpg
    image-4261222220.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 150
Alright so i think i have a plant list down. Will post them later.....i'm gonna go with pool filter sand instead of ADA because of price,
Im thinking about getting a new light instead of the catalina, what do you guys suggest?
Pics coming soon.....hopefully i can get some better ones than these crappy ipad pics

UPDATE: its a emmersed setup!
The wabi was gonna be to expensive, so im going to start growing plants for my 60P.
I got some wendetti green to experiment with, and some nesea triflora coming from a TPT member.
Its used eco-comete, 6 roottabs, some flourish comp. in the water, and a hygrometer. Hopefully ill get more plants in the future, and i can keep this one alive!
Any emersed gurus who have any mistakes they wish they could do over i welcome your wisdom :)
Thanks!
-mack

Attachments

• image-2079731881.jpg
    image-2079731881.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 117
Got some submerged grown rotala ad nesea triflore, hopefully i can get them to convert at about 70% humidity. I hear stems can be difficult.
And it looks like the wayer is getting kinda fungusy/smelly, any way to help kill bacteria?
Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-3065233854.jpg
    image-3065233854.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom