Rimless Planted Shrimp Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Ok, figured it was time for another build thread :)

This time I'm doing a low light, planted shrimp tank. Oh, and the tank's rimless too. I have a crude picture taken a minute ago on top of a huggies box haha. I hope to paint the back today and at least get the substrate in (PFS). Not sure whether I'm going to do an ac 20 or not. I'd love to copy fort and do glass pipes, but I don't have a small canister available. Anyhoo, stay tuned for updates ;)

img_1271022_0_8e7f07f5d26f5d7b2355fcde16d25e9c.jpg

Yes... and to be quite honest, it scared me. But... I had it sitting IN the bathtub filled all the way to the top for the last few days and it has held strong. I was a bit nervous about it at first, but I have no worries now. Oh, and Jenatron, it's your fault I did it because of your link I saw somewhere.

If it's just a plain 10G or smaller I doubt you'll have any problems. But your darn justified in being scared, I know I would be as well.

Man Rooke you are a machine. Tagging along lets see if this old dog can learn something.

I'm thinking of doing something like this. I want to see how it turns out and learn something. It's jenna's fault as well. Lol. :popcorn:

Ahhh..now I want to de-rim my 10g again! But I wonder if it could hold a light with legs that way. I can't hang a light over it, so that might hold me back. Hmm...might have to de-rim a 5.5g...see, you are flaring up my MTS!!

Interested to see what you do with this one!! I know it will look good!

Ahhh..now I want to de-rim my 10g again! But I wonder if it could hold a light with legs that way. I can't hang a light over it, so that might hold me back. Hmm...might have to de-rim a 5.5g...see, you are flaring up my MTS!!

Interested to see what you do with this one!! I know it will look good!

That is a good point. Someone mentioned when they had a clamp on HQI, a HOB filter, and a HOB skimmer (I know that's a lot more weight, lol) they did in fact break their de-rimmed tank. If it were me I'd do just one: either a light or HOB.

I <3 rimless tanks. :popcorn: you got me interested!

I agree. Will be following along and looking for updates on this one!

I'd almost be willing to try this myself but after the fiasco we had a few weeks ago with the bottom rim falling of one of our 20 gals (and the resulting water mess!) I think I'll just sit back and watch you! :p

very interesting..I am very anxious on how this tank will look like with the PFS and plants...

Sadly, I haven't really had much time to work on this tank. I have got the back painted black, and did a little more scraping of the silicone, but that's it. I hope to start setting it up tomorrow. I"m still torn between the nice looking fixture that fort linked, or a DIY type fixture that will cost 1/3 or less. I'm almost thinking of securing the fixture to the wall to take any stress of this super thin glass.

Back
Top Bottom