RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm definitely following along! Some of those plants are in my 40b rescape!
When your 220 filled in last time I didn't think ANYTHING could top that, that being said though if anyone can do it, it would be you.
:Epic:

Which of the plants do you have in your tank from the list?

I am sooooo hoping when this rescaping is done the tank is finally what I have been envisioning for over a year. It's been a slow process but I am going to keep at it till I get it right.

I always drooled over your photos. Didn't think it could get any better.

But it did. Brava! Love it. Making notes here.

Curious...how are the fish taking the changes? I see they are incremental changes, but is anyone hiding that used to come out in plain view?

Thanks! But wait till it grows!

The day I uprooted and removed alot of the big sections of plants the fish weren't happy but they just stay out of the way. They are very used to me getting in and trimming/working on the stem plants. No one is hiding as they have gone through this before. Then fish like the yo-yo loaches and cory's actually have to inspect all the new plantings. And I always go slow and easy so I don't startle anyone and also so I don't accidently bump an angelfish since they have to get right in the middle of what I'm doing.

Its beautiful. I'm working on getting my tanks heavily planted but I don't think they'll ever look as good as yours! :)

I love the color on Nesaea Pedicellata "Golden" but it came with emmersed growth and has taken forever to change. It is also a very slow grower in my tank, which I don't know if that is common or just because I don't use pressurized CO2.

I've never done a 100% planted tank before so this in itself is going to be a challange. Also the Ludwigia peruensis, Hygrophila Pinnatifida, and the Dwarf Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea hirsuta) all came emmersed growth.

I've ordered hygro balsamica and rotala magenta along with florida sunset crypts and rotala indica.
Question rivercats. I thought you weren't a big fan of dhg? I love mine. At first i thought it would be a pain because of trimming but it stays low and lush.

This picture is the one Brian that shows where I already moved some of the Corkscrew Val and planted Hydrotriche hottoniiflora. You can just see the Hydrotriche in the open area behind the DW. This is the area I want to remove the rest of the Corkscrew Val and am considering at least two of the below or something else if someone comes up with a good idea:

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ammannia Senegalensis
Hygrophila balsamica
Myriophyllum mattogrossense

Do anyone have any other interesting stem plant idea's for that area? Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: RIVERCATS 220G Transformation - Picture

I like the first two options. I also think that some Rotala wallichii would look nice there. I really wish that Aponogeton crispus 'Red was available in the US because that would look awesome in that spot.

I'm not sure what you already have but I think in that spot Barclaya longfolia or Ammania graycilis would look splendid.

Subscribed! I'm inspired by your planted tank. Do you have pics of all your other tanks?

No pic's since they can in no way compete with the big tank, especially the fancy goldfish tanks. The goldies used to be so little and cute and now they are 8+ inch monsters and other than the DW and Crypts I am constantly having to replant things even if they have special anchors on them.

I've ordered hygro balsamica and rotala magenta along with florida sunset crypts and rotala indica.
Question rivercats. I thought you weren't a big fan of dhg? I love mine. At first i thought it would be a pain because of trimming but it stays low and lush.

I'm not a fan of DHG and could never keep it trimmed in such a big deep tank that's why I put Dwarf Baby Tears and Dwarf Four Leaf Clover in. I'll try anything and just take it out if it doesn't work. I wanted something that was pretty low like the HC so the entire piece of DW with all the Fissidens can be seen. The DFLC I only put in a little spot to use as an accent.

I think I'm going to like the Rotala Magenta. It came in pretty small and rough looking but it's already getting a touch of color even tho its at the bottom of the tank. That is a good sign so when it gets alot taller I'm hoping for alot of color. The only crypt I left in the tank was the Florida Sunset. It came in with great colors but emmersed growth. Once the growth became immersed 95% of the bright colors went away and now looks more like a Wendti with some blended dull red and touch of dirty yellow in the leaves. It was very disappointing. Tried Rotala Indica awhile back and took it out. It would only grow horizonital and tried to over take the tank. Never could figure out how to get it to grow tall.

You will have to let me know how the Hygro Balsamica looks. I have been toying with trying it for awhile. I've still got some wiggle room for planting. Ammannia Senegalensis is definitely on my short list. That's my problem I really want a variety and only have so much room!

Looks great so far, Rivercats! Can't wait to see how it transforms in the next few months.

I like the first two options. I also think that some Rotala wallichii would look nice there. I really wish that Aponogeton crispus 'Red was available in the US because that would look awesome in that spot.

Oh I love that Aponogeton but of course it's not available in the US... go figure! But it reminds me somewhat of a large version of Hygrophila Pinnatifida. Which BTW is already growing new immersed growth leaves. So is the Ludwigia peruensis and this one is showing red leaves in the new growth after only being in the tank for about 10 days so I'm really hopeful it makes a wow factor. I have R. Wallichii in two spots and am definitely set on getting the Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba' but then need to decide on at least one other plant that compliments the Ludwigia and the Hydrotriche hottoniiflora's leaf shape. I'm thinking of planting the entire area where the Val is with the Ludwigia and then where the Ludwigia and Hydrotiche meets open a little area as an accent spot and put the third planting of ??? right there. So the third plant would need to look good nestled into the other two so it draws your eye there. Hope that makes sense!

I'm looking for ways to keep my angels and yo-yo loaches away from my newly planted HC. I've started putting slightly softened zucchini slices in the tank on veggie clips which seems to have focused the angels away from munching on the little HC leaves but the zucchini only holds a slight interest for the loaches. Anyone have any ideas on what might keep the yo-yo's busy and focused away from little HC plantings?

Woww Rivercats! I JUST found this thread lol. Do you still want some Ludwigia Inclinata Var. Verticilalta? I have some if you want any :) And....subscribed :lol:

Woww Rivercats! I JUST found this thread lol. Do you still want some Ludwigia Inclinata Var. Verticilalta? I have some if you want any :) And....subscribed :lol:

Thanks for the offer Dan but unless you have about 12-20 stems, which is what I need for that area, I'll have to pass. The one drawback of such a large tank is the amount of plants you need to get it properly planted.

Back
Top Bottom