RIVERCATS Nuvo 24g Rimless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow beautiful setup..Looks all modern and high tech already. I haven't seen many of these setup as FW (yes, I know it's designed for reef) so that makes it even more special IMO. How are the pumps in the filter compartment? Are they adjustable? Makes me wonder if the GPH rate is high like the stock pump on my nano cube?

As for other nano fish... there's always pygmy corys, CPDs, chili rasboras, and clown kilifish as options.

The pump, only one, is strong but not horribly so and isn't adjustable. Plus I'm carefully selecting fish that like or tolerate a little more current. Most of the current is in the top of the tank so no CO2 in this tank. Which is fine since it's in my daughters apartment area of the house and she has cats. Which is another nice feature of the tank it has a glass lid that can be clipped on which the cats have already tested for strength... ugh.

The Scarlet Badis will have plenty of quieter area's and I'm finding they can handle current as can the Chili rasbora's since there is also some in the 55g which is running a Fluval 406 canister and a Koralia 240. The Koralia is in a black nylon so that cut the flow some and I have a nylon over the intake on the fluval so I don't have any suck ups. The Chili's actually get in the current and play. So I'm not too worried about the nano fish and the top current. Plus one outflow is right behind the top of the DW which deflects it big time.

On this tank I am playing around with thin sponges to put behind the two over flows jus in case a pencilfish gets too close. My daughter bought the tank before I even saw it and told me she figured with all the different types of tanks I've used over the years I could figure out any modifications that might need to be made... lucky me! Heck my first tanks were the old metal edged ones... lol!

Was thinking 6 Burmese Rosey Loaches as they are just such active little guys and maybe some Apisdora's or if I get up the nerve I am seriously considering trying Dwarf Anchor Cats, the smallest of the Moth Cats. Its just they are so delicate and you absolutely have to keep nitrates at 10 or below because if they creep up over 12ppm the fish will die or start to decline rapidly. I have to give a lot of thought into them. They normally only get up to an inch in length but can go up to an inch and a half. I could easily do a small group. They are also very social and do well with nano fish. If I do the Anchor cats I have to skip the Loaches and Apisdora's. So many decisions!

Then I still have to do a lot of planting/scaping.

Looks great. Love the tank and how its setup with DW, rock and plants. Its beautiful and It will look even more beautiful once it grows in.

Thanks! The big piece of DW is to create a dark space for when the lights are on high for 6 hours. I am going to lighten it with some more small pieces of the white rock with Anubia Nana Petite, variegated if I can find it, to brighten the area up. I tend to be slow in my planting since I'm so darn picky about what I like and where it needs to go so this is going to take some time. I figure the few stems of Pogostemon Erectus, Rotala Mini Butterfly, and Mini AR will grow pretty fast. In the right corner it's hard to see but there are two baby Crypt Wendtii Tropica. They get a really cool hammered textured leaf and are a little different looking. Plus I need to get some "snail free" fissidens fontanus growing on the DW.

I think the CPO might eat the Microcrabs. My baby CPOs at every baby shrimp they could find and I know the Thai MC are so small, that the adult CPO could get them.

But they are awesome!!!

Thanks! Good to know!

Brian I don't know if it was this thread of the other that you asked about the Build My LED fixtures and how they are working with the non green plants... when I went in to turn this tank on which has one of the fixture I noticed the Rotala Mini Butterfly that was mostly green when I put it in last Tuesday evening is already getting nice dark red growth on it in less than a week. I running this tank the same as the others with nitrates 10ppm, phosphates at 5-10ppm, and no extra micro's. Am also only using Glut no CO2. So that pretty much shows how well the fixture works. The Mini AR that came from a center bundle that wasn't heavily colored due to being buried under higher growth is also beginning to color. I'm very pleased overall plus the dimmer is an added bonus.

Wow... thanks for your insight on the BML light! My inquiry on it to you was buried in our PM's somewhere...LOL

Well the positive assessment of this light doesn't help my addiction any on LEDs... I might just have to get one, "one day." Unfortunately, not anytime soon! But I'm glad you like these lights... especially since I mentioned them to you not knowing from personal experience if they were capable. I REALLY like that they have dedicated diodes in the reds and other spectrum, not just all white! Sounds like your plants really like it and are reflective of that in their growth and coloration. :)

This is the problem when I'm talking to someone in posts and Pm's... in my many senior moments I can't always remember what was being talked about where... :hide:

Thanks Mike and Mary! This tank has a long way to go in the scaping department still but it's got a good base start to work with.

The tank is about cycled but haven't added more plants. I have some Anubia Nana Petite coming in this Monday or Tuesday and am trying to let the plants I've put in grow a bit to see what I might want to add. I'm not rushing this.

Also have narrowed down the stock list to:

18 Purple Pencilfish
6 Dwarf Anchor Cats
6 Pygmy Multi Stripe Loaches
6-12 Scarlet Badis
15-20 Neon Rasbora (blue variety)
3 Blue Cobalt Gobies (which I have but might up to 6 total)

I think that will make for a nice diversity with a lot of color.

No CO2 on this tank due to the cats my daughter kepts in her section/apartment in the house.

Just moved 6 Purple Pencilfish, 6 Scarlet Badis, and 3 Blue Cobalt Gobies over Tuesday. Did some tweeking and added some Anubia Nana Petite which came in emersed growth so many of the leaves look bad and I just have to wait them out. And the plants are growing and looking much better. I am doing peat balls and Almond leaves to add tannins to the water.

Then in 2 weeks I'll be getting the rest of the fish and plan to post pic's since "someone" (wonder who that could be) was nice enough to help me with a "how to" instructional tool.

I did have to get creative with the overflow and the little fish.
Ended up cutting plastic pet screening and laying it over the front of the overflow which suctioned it on and used veggie clips to hold the top of the screen in place. Definitely need it as those gobies just walk right up the glass and try to go in any little hole.

My daughter and I decided to finally get a Rimless tank. She decided on a Nuvo Rimless 24g Nano which I really like as it sits up on legs. It's glass but seamless with rounded edges. It's very unique. I decided to get a Build My LED fixture for it's sleekness and the fact I have been very pleased with the light output and color spectrum. It also has a dimmer which goes down to 10% which is really nice.

This tank is going to be for Nano fish. So far there are 6 Purple Pencilfish, 6 Scarlet Badis, and 3 Blue Cobalt Gobies waiting in another tank. I will add 6-12 more pencilfish for sure and then the rest of the stock list is undecided.

Here's a picture of the tank after it was set up. It's not fully planted by far. We used the new Eco-complete fine which I was rather surprised to find that it isn't solid black but has a lot of rust colored grains in it also.

This tank looks awesome and very natural

Hey J! Do you have any updates for this tank? Pictures? Any new opinions on the nuvo setup/equipment? An update on your other newer tanks would be great too, love seeing the progression of your setups

Hey J! Do you have any updates for this tank? Pictures? Any new opinions on the nuvo setup/equipment? An update on your other newer tanks would be great too, love seeing the progression of your setups

My daughter took some pic's but need to ask if she took any full tank pic's since I removed the big DW and rescaped a little. Also finally have it stocked now with:

12 Irian Red Blue Eyes
6 Pygmy Multi Banded Loaches
12 Dwarf Anchor Cats (these guys are really cool little catfish)
18 Purple Pencilfish
7 Indian Flame Jewel Badis (Dario sp Junita Hil)

With the new scaping and removing the big DW the tank is looking really good and nicely bright. I'm actually only using the BML fixture at 50% max since the tank is shallow.

The equipment works good but you can't overstuff the filter boxes or the water won't flow through the various chambers properly. The other challenge was to find something to make the over flow slats into smaller holes the nano fish couldn't fit though. I ended up getting some small hole, black, latch hook squares and cutting them with slits going the opposite way the overflow slats went and it's worked perfect. The only thing I would change if possible is have a slower flow/smaller pump. But the fish are actually doing quite well so no use trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Am hoping she can get the pic's fixed so I can post them. I'm quite pleased now with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom