Rocks for Decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spilzer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any ideas about a good source for some rocks to use in my 29 gallon planted as decor?

I know quartz is a good inert rock but what other types of rocks can be used in freshwater?

Are rocks the kinds of things I can find in my local park (and then boil them) or is it better to purchase them specifically for aquarium use?

I don't think paying shipping on something like rocks makes much sense so I'd love a local source (I live in Manhattan, NY) if anyone has ideas.

Slate is a good choice. I don't know if there are any garden centers in Manhattan (I kind of doubt it) but that is the best place to look. You can use founds rocks but you need to be leery of pesticides which boiling will not always remove. Most fish stores sell them but the price can be a little nuts.

You should just take a drive over here to Jersey. There are plenty of rocks around that are safe for freshwater tanks. Boiling them in water should kill all the bacteria on the rocks. I was actually about to try this today, so I'll let you know how it goes.

After searching for a garden store nearby (I couldn't easily find one) I decided to grab some rocks on my way home from work (I work near a large park where there were plenty of rocks lying around).

I plan on boiling them for sure. What other things could I do to try to remove pesticides? I've also heard that you sometimes need a strong acid, such as hydrochloric acid, to test for inertness and that vinegar won't do. How much truth to that is there? Any idea where I could find stronger acids than vinegar?

Last edited:
You could also bake them in an oven. The high temperature will kill pretty much anything. You can find Hydrochloric Acid at hardware stores, I believe.
What kind of rocks did you find?

You could also just soak the rocks in a bucket for a few weeks and test at the beginning and end to determine whether the rocks will affect the GH or KH of the water. This is a pretty sure way of checking without having to track down stronger acid.

The "bucket test" sounds like a good idea. I suppose even with strong acid you might not be able to tell if a rock will change GH or KH. The best way is to just test it out!

Back
Top Bottom