rockscape/driftwood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatnad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so my aquarium addiction just got worse... i just went and bought a 20g long and more seiryu stone. ive been playing with scaping it for the last hour and a half and ive gotten it to where i somewhat like it but feel there is still something off with the layout. i was hoping to get some of your input to maybe make this look better. here it is.

XwEgnv4.jpg

I think the left side of the tank is an A+. Wouldn't change a thing. IMO, the right side needs one
more good sized rock, with a lot of contours and character. The smaller stones positioned in a random manner at the base of the larger rocks.
I'm 100% certain that you can pull this hardscape off by yourself. Great choice of materials.(y)

I think the left side of the tank is an A+. Wouldn't change a thing. IMO, the right side needs one
more good sized rock, with a lot of contours and character. The smaller stones positioned in a random manner at the base of the larger rocks.
I'm 100% certain that you can pull this hardscape off by yourself. Great choice of materials.(y)

thank you. i was thinking the right side was looking a bit empty. glad the left side looks fine to you. now im off to try and fix the right side.

ok i think ive got. here is where im at now.

UKU0qsF.jpg

i have also dirted the tank, filled it with water, heater, filter and put some rotala rotundifolia in the back left. i also added the first and maybe the only inhabitant to the tank.

hnEfS1V.jpg

SImgxuZ.jpg

halfmoon king betta

You've achieved aquascaping greatness. I'd like to see a school of Rummynose swimming through those branches. I don't think your Betta would mind.

You've achieved aquascaping greatness. I'd like to see a school of Rummynose swimming through those branches. I don't think your Betta would mind.

thank you for your very kind words. this is the second most favorite aquascape of mine and im glad i finally managed to do a rockscape that i think looks really good. now when you say rummynose what type of fish are you talking about? i looked up rummynose and found several fish called rummynose. there are tetras, rasboras and guppies. i like the rasboras but they max out at 72 degrees temp where as the betta is better at like 76 degrees. now the tetras would work. they fall right in line with what the betta needs and sorry i really dont like guppies.

now if i were to put more fish in i was kind of thinking some of these celestial pearl danios. ive always wanted to get some and they also fall right in line with the parameters for the betta. also i think they are amazingly beautiful.

https://www.azgardens.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Galaxy-Rasbora.jpg

I was suggesting Rummynose Tetras. They are tetras that are somewhat uncommon, but not rare. RN swim in a tight school and their Red noses and flag pattern tail add a lot of pop to a tank. For such a relatively small Tetra, RN are fairly durable too.
I've never kept CP Danios, but I'll agree that they are a beautifully patterned fish. Either fish would be a winner.
If the CP Danios are like most varieties of Danios then the school will likely be very active and busy. Rummynose school at a slower pace.

I was suggesting Rummynose Tetras. They are tetras that are somewhat uncommon, but not rare. RN swim in a tight school and their Red noses and flag pattern tail add a lot of pop to a tank. For such a relatively small Tetra, RN are fairly durable too.
I've never kept CP Danios, but I'll agree that they are a beautifully patterned fish. Either fish would be a winner.
If the CP Danios are like most varieties of Danios then the school will likely be very active and busy. Rummynose school at a slower pace.

i will definitely keep the rummynose in mind. they do look great and they seem to be cheap whereas the CPD's are about 3 times more expensive. i added a few more plants but now im trying to think of some plants to use that i havent already used before. i added some ammannia gracillis and anubias nana petite but i want something new. it was recommended on another of my threads to give monte carlo a try and im kind of leaning towards that for the forground carpet. anyone have any other recommended plants to try? fore,mid or background?

XW9sbaR.jpg

r7Skty7.jpg

I totally agree with the Rummynose tetras. I have always had them in my tanks. They have beautiful bright red faces and a black/white striped tail. They are my favorite tetras. My school of them like to play in the bubbles.

i will definitely keep the rummynose in mind. they do look great and they seem to be cheap whereas the CPD's are about 3 times more expensive. i added a few more plants but now im trying to think of some plants to use that i havent already used before. i added some ammannia gracillis and anubias nana petite but i want something new. it was recommended on another of my threads to give monte carlo a try and im kind of leaning towards that for the forground carpet. anyone have any other recommended plants to try? fore,mid or background?

XW9sbaR.jpg

r7Skty7.jpg

Some Trident Java Fern would look nice on the driftwood. It wouldn’t get that tall, so it wouldn’t overpower the scape.

Some Trident Java Fern would look nice on the driftwood. It wouldn’t get that tall, so it wouldn’t overpower the scape.

woah! those look awesome! i had never seen those before. i will definitely have get some of that even if i decide not to use it in this tank.

here is where im at now with the tank. i moved the heater behind the filter and decided to go with some staurogyne repens i had. ive never done a full carpet with it before. this coming weekend ill be ordering a 30" finnex planted+ 24/7 light to go on the tank so i can get rid of the clamp cfl's i have on there now. i still have alot more repens left to plant.

6bc8oCG.jpg

zvdYR0m.jpg

i finished up planting the staurogyne and decided to add some crypt undalata. im worried that once the crypt grows its going to end up to tall for where i planted it. ive never kept undalata. i also got my planted+ in today so bye bye clamp lights! looks alot better with this light on it. next thing to do will be to put some co2 on it. im kind of tight on money right now after spending as much as i have on aquarium stuff in the last 2 weeks lol. im thinking of just doing another diy co2 for it until i scrape up enough money for my pressurized system.

Jhypnz4.jpg

i finished up planting the staurogyne and decided to add some crypt undalata. im worried that once the crypt grows its going to end up to tall for where i planted it. ive never kept undalata. i also got my planted+ in today so bye bye clamp lights! looks alot better with this light on it. next thing to do will be to put some co2 on it. im kind of tight on money right now after spending as much as i have on aquarium stuff in the last 2 weeks lol. im thinking of just doing another diy co2 for it until i scrape up enough money for my pressurized system.

Jhypnz4.jpg

Hi

Your tank looks ace!

For what it is worth, I have 6 rummys - they swim together, always active, look great and are very community minded. Possibly the best fish I have. My only regret is that I don’t have more of them. I couldn’t recommend them highly enough.

D

Goat!! I can hardly keep up with all the stuff you're working on. This tank is great! I think Rummynose would totally pop in this scape. Really fun fish, especially if you get a nice school of at least 5-6. They're very bold in numbers, out and moving and looking fantastic without being too rowdy or garish.

That being said, a big school of CPD or Emerald Dwarf Rasboras would also be amazing in this tank. I've kept both and always wish I'd had one or the other as a single-species school in a tank just for them.

Hey looking good. C. Undulata is 4-6". If you don't like where it sits after maturity move it. What fun is scaping if you don't move something on a regular basis ;).

Hi

Your tank looks ace!

For what it is worth, I have 6 rummys - they swim together, always active, look great and are very community minded. Possibly the best fish I have. My only regret is that I don’t have more of them. I couldn’t recommend them highly enough.

D

:D glad you like it and thank you very much. i will be getting rummys but not for this tank. im working my larger tank and the rummys will go into it. i have decided on doing celestial pearl danios for this one. it worked out that it would be wiser to put the rummys with angels in the 60g since they are a bit larger and faster.

Goat!! I can hardly keep up with all the stuff you're working on. This tank is great! I think Rummynose would totally pop in this scape. Really fun fish, especially if you get a nice school of at least 5-6. They're very bold in numbers, out and moving and looking fantastic without being too rowdy or garish.

That being said, a big school of CPD or Emerald Dwarf Rasboras would also be amazing in this tank. I've kept both and always wish I'd had one or the other as a single-species school in a tank just for them.

hehe :lol: sorry. i just cant keep myself from playing with all my aquariums.

Hey looking good. C. Undulata is 4-6". If you don't like where it sits after maturity move it. What fun is scaping if you don't move something on a regular basis ;).

i thank you very much. 4-6" would be perfect height. glad i got it now.

about time for another update. its been over 2 weeks since the last update. everything is doing great. trimmed and replanted the ammannia gracilis. add some myrio tuberculatum in the back right corner. thats all ive done with this tank other than weekly water changes.

CTxZkYJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom