rockwool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
well my only question is if you get a plant like Anubias that come in a pot with rockwool should you remove the rockwool? is it bad to leave it on the roots
with out it being in a pot?
also if left on can it cause the leaves to yellow? stunt the growth of the plant?

I have asked this question before and now I take the plants out of the pots. The main reason I do this is because I dont like the way plants look in a tank with a flowerpot. I think it is better to get the plant out of the pot before it establishes it'self in the tank and the roots take off. I know that they use the rockwool with ferts to get the plant going, but after a while it wears out and is finished serving it's purpose.

I take my plants out. Especially anubias which has a large HARD rhizome. It tends to like to migrate parallel to the substrate, and so it will creep sideways making a nice arrangement. I also prefer to see the root system to judge nutrients, and overall health of the plant. Many people do keep them in the pots however, as it makes it much easier for tank work (ie you can remove it or move it around without cause a large tank disturbance.

The reason that your plants often come in rockwool pots is that it is easier to grow, fertilize, and ship plants this way for the nursery. Since everything is contained in a nice little package they can just pull it out and send it on it's way. The drawbacks for the hobbiest is that their is often some high powered ferts in the rockwool which depending on what was used can mess with your water chemistry. This is especially true for plants that the nursery grows emersed. It's also harder to get the pots to blend in and form a nice aquascape. Like any other potted plant there can be issues with it becoming root bound if it is left this way long term. Your best bet really is to remove the plant and place it where you want it. With an Anubias you'll see the best growth if you attach it to either a rock or driftwood.

For a general submersed growth rate, mine has tripled in size since mid-march. It is definately a slow grower!

I used a couple quartz rocks to pin the rhizome against a clay pot and my PFS substrate. It sent a couple 5" roots into the substrate for anchoring and a bunch of thick white "roots" across the pot/sand/rocks.

I just cut off a section of the rhizome to create a "new" plant as well.

Take it off. It is not all it is cut out to be. I ordered it and tried to set up plants in it. The plants grew 1/2 as fast if not slower and the roots were much finer and less developed. The rockwool is treated to be neutral but the natural pH is high like 8.8 and it will mess with your tanks once it starts to break down in an acid environment. If your pH is that high anyway then it could be a very good if not beneficial addition to the tank and maybe your plants but overall it is just a mess to use, doesn't promote growth submerged and it best left to emersed high flow setups. FWIW.

I remove all my plants from the pots. Just be careful not to really damage the plant or roots when doing so. Take your time.

I always remove them from the pots i just wanted to know about the rockwool should that be removed also

like people have stated that the rockwool has high amounts of ferts that can mess with tank water cheistry so yes do remove it.

The only way rockwool would be useful is if you want to grow your plants emersed. In your fish tank, it will do nothing but be a nuesance and possibly mess with your tank chemistry, grow mold and algae being it is made of massive amount of silica, almost 60% or something which is the main cause of diatoms. I tried it without fertilizers in it, raw from the company and it still was more of a hastle than it was worth. Get rid of it or keep it for your future experiments into emersed or fishless planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom