Rookie lighting Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought the Odyssea 48" fixture with 2x54w T5HO bulbs.

I've seen others review this lighting fixture and say that they replaced the bulbs it came with because they weren't good.

How can they tell the bulbs aren't any good? Just based on plant growth? Or any other way?

I heard the spectrum of light they put out are not what they say and the lumens and par are not that good. I had it , switched to coralife bulbs and they were so much brighter that the stock ones. My fixture only lasted 6 months though before dying. I switched to led now so much better.

I heard the spectrum of light they put out are not what they say and the lumens and par are not that good. I had it , switched to coralife bulbs and they were so much brighter that the stock ones. My fixture only lasted 6 months though before dying. I switched to led now so much better.

Hmmm that's a bummer. I bought it because of a tight budget but if I have to spend $40 on new bulbs then it wasn't a good buy after all.

Hmmm that's a bummer. I bought it because of a tight budget but if I have to spend $40 on new bulbs then it wasn't a good buy after all.

Return it and get an led rig;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Return it and get an led rig;)

Yes I will as soon as I can. Quit my job a few months back and am starting a new business so no pay check currently!!! Once I am earning again I will upgrade. I will just have to make do until then. If only I would do what everyone keeps telling me and stick to low light plants I'd be OK but someone who lives near me gave me star grass and I love it so really want it to do well!!

Just try it! That light will grow plants even with the current bulbs. What's the k rating on them?

Just try it! That light will grow plants even with the current bulbs. What's the k rating on them?

6500k. Plus I also have another 2 bulbs which are just 15w each but the plant growth ones from Aqua Glo which are apparently a good spectrum for photosynthesis. (and make the fish look so much more colorful!!)

So far things are growing but the star grass is far from bushy and pretty spindly so I can see it's not enough for them to thrive.

This weekend I took off half of the glass top so that the odyssea fixture now has no glass under it which I'm hoping will help increase the par at the bottom. I've read glass can decrease par by up to 30% so maybe that boost will help the star grass.

I also figured out that my hygros were suffering from co2 deficiency so stepped up the excel but now of course my vals are melting......

I love my tank and the plants but oh boy it's just one problem after another when you're a rookie!!! :facepalm:

Those bulbs should be fine for now.. yes removing globe glass should help some for sure.. that's the thing with excel..I've axed all plants that can't handle it because I find it extremely beneficial in aiding in plant growth and reducing algae... how long your lights on?

Those bulbs should be fine for now.. yes removing globe glass should help some for sure.. that's the thing with excel..I've axed all plants that can't handle it because I find it extremely beneficial in aiding in plant growth and reducing algae... how long your lights on?

I did have them on for 8-9 hours but since the BBA and I see increased algae on the glass, I have cut back to 3 hours, 2 hour break, 3 hours. I will increase to 8 again (probably 4, 2 hours off, another 4) after a few more days of daily excel.

I'm bummed re the jungle vals as I love them!!

Do you know of anything that look like vals that can tolerate the excel?

Ya I run 3 on, 5 off, 5 on and it's working well for me. Check out crypt balansae!

Ya I run 3 on, 5 off, 5 on and it's working well for me. Check out crypt balansae!

Oooh yes looks good! I am hoping the vals might adjust, but if not (I am guessing not....) I'll try the crypts.

Do you use these? Professional Plant Anchors

Any good? I've had problems anchoring the plants that need the crown above the substrate.....

Oooh yes looks good! I am hoping the vals might adjust, but if not (I am guessing not....) I'll try the crypts.

Do you use these? Professional Plant Anchors

Any good? I've had problems anchoring the plants that need the crown above the substrate.....

I've never had a need, the crypt had enough of a root system to settle it just so.. I've used small river rocks to circle around the base of the plant, kind of resembles a little garden bed and keeps the plant secure too

Back
Top Bottom