Root tab question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I have a stupid question. With the osmocote plus root tabs when you place them in the tank they release only into the substrate or do they release also into the water Column? Reason I ask is I also have Java moss and a few floaters and wondered if this will also benefit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If osmocote root tabs are leaching into the water column that's not a good thing. You want to plant them deep.

I had one surface one time (poor job on my part) and it shot my ammonia up.

Caleb

As Caleb mentioned, push them in deep.. At least 3" or more. Since O+ is meant for gardens and not aquaria, it contains Ammoniacal Nitrogen, which will cause an ammonia spike if allowed to escape the substrate and enter the water column. If you use root tabs intended for planted tanks, you're idea would work.

I tested the ammonia release over 24 hours with a single root tab exposed to 4 gallons of water. In that small of a volume the ammonia level didnt raise above 0.25ppm. If your tank is cycled i wouldnt worry about ammonia spikes. But yes, still bury them deep.

Back
Top Bottom