Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do root tabs create ammonia related issues? Just wondering so I don't over use them. I have a (i think) a crypt pontederilfoia and it finally is starting to lose a leaf to nutrient deficiency I think. (but which one?)

Wish I could provide a picture but I am currently without a camera...

It is an odd plant the lfs said it was a rarer crypt plant that would do ok in low light. While mine hasn't died it definitly doesn't look as good as it did when I got it. I have had it for almost 2 weeks and I would think that the crypt melt would have stopped by now...

But, the plant itself has about 3 four inch leaves, another one was starting but hasn't budged since I got it. It actually has like a root stump, unlike my wendtil brown???

Any one with any answers?
Drew

Root tabs shouldn't cause any free ammonia. The source of N they provide is generally in the form of KNO3, so you could see a rise in nitrates (although not much... most of it stays in the substrate in solid form until used by the plants... not in the water column).

I forgot...

I dose a just less then a half a cap of excel almost daily, and I use the Supplemental twice a week or after a water change. I do use root tabs occasionally but as the packet recommends.

excel is completely different... organic source of carbon. No ammonia possible from it.

Bottom line is no fertilizer you are adding should cause an ammonia spike. If it does, there is something seriously wrong.

Oh no, I haven't had an ammonia spike. I was just wondering if I could potentially create a ammonia spike with them. I'm really just wondering what that plant needs, and I gave it a root tab today to see if that is what it needed. So the ammonia question was on my mind also.

I think it will do wonders for your crypt! They are big root feeders.

Back
Top Bottom