Root Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Seachem root tabs .. but I've heard API root tabs are just as good. I don't think you can go wrong IMO.

Yeah I'll list it here, it's nothing magical or secret :) The KNO3 amount can be reduced if the tank is sustaining nitrates on it's own, I used a recipe amount that would make sure there are some available but let the plants mostly rely on fish waste.

These are great root tabs made by yours truly with a blend of N P K and CSM+B (that's macros + micros) held together by a very high quality completely raw carbondale red clay (really high in iron).

The rough ingredient percentages are as follows
Clay- 48%
CSM+B 32%
Magnesium Sulfate 8%
Potassium Sulfate 8%
Potassium Nitrate 4%

I'll probably start posting some for sale in the marketplace since I just made a large batch and went crazy with my little teddy bear cookie cutter.

Ooooh teddy grahams... uhh wait... those don't taste like teddy grahams!

I use flourish tabs... but I'm thinking about making some from his recipe. Though, mine won't be in the shape of teddy bears.

Let me know when the baking is complete. I need root tabs now, but I am afraid I will make some nasty cookies.

Rather than make a new thread, may I ask here how often it is suggested to use root tabs?

I reapply mine every month, but it really depends on how densely planted the tank is and the type of root tab you are using. The kind I use are clay based so they are used up pretty quickly, but if you use something like osmocote it is designed to release slowly over a 6 month period.

I prefer the clay based tabs though personally.

jetajockey said:
I reapply mine every month, but it really depends on how densely planted the tank is and the type of root tab you are using. The kind I use are clay based so they are used up pretty quickly, but if you use something like osmocote it is designed to release slowly over a 6 month period.

I prefer the clay based tabs though personally.

Hey- did you decide to sell some o your homemade tabs?

Back
Top Bottom