Root Tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eleven13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

I currently have a 10 gallon tank (first stab at a planted tank) with Anubias, Java Fern, Hygrophila, Micro Swords, Anacharis, and an Amazon sword.

I have a 15 watt 6500K light, gravel substrate, and I dose once a week with Nutra-Fin Plant Gro liquid fertilizer.

So far things are growing pretty well, but I noticed that my amazon sword has a few yellow spots forming on the leaves, and I read that root tabs may be beneficial to stop this from happening. I was going to go pick up some API root tabs from Petco today, but do you guys think this is a good idea?

Thanks!

Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders so yes root tabs are essential. I use seachem root tabs, but the API are basically the same thing.

Okay great thanks guys, so do I need to uproot the plant to get the tab directly under the roots, or can I just bury it in close proximity to the roots of the plant?

Okay great thanks guys, so do I need to uproot the plant to get the tab directly under the roots, or can I just bury it in close proximity to the roots of the plant?

If you only have one sword, push it directly underneath or next to. If you have swords group together, you can push it somewhere in the middle of the group ... I read the tabs are actually good for a few inches radius of where you plant it. This is what I do and my swords seem fine.

If you only have one sword, push it directly underneath or next to. If you have swords group together, you can push it somewhere in the middle of the group ... I read the tabs are actually good for a few inches radius of where you plant it. This is what I do and my swords seem fine.

Alright thanks a lot for the help, I only have 1 sword in the corner of the tank, but I have a bunch of anacharis and hygro and the micro swords are rooted as well so I'll use that guideline for those :D

I just buried them near my Swords and Crypts.
Now my Chain Swords are like weeds LOL

I hope I get the same results! I've been dying for my micro swords to start spreading but I don't really see any signs of it. They look great at the moment, but they aren't carpeting like I'd have hoped.

Unfortunately the Petco I went to didn't have any root tabs :( I'll have to try another location tomorrow and/or order them online.

You can make DIY root ferts using Osmocote and gel capsules, or some other delivery method. Osmocote will have macronutrients in it as well, which many other commercial root tabs won't have (beyond a pittance of K).

aqua_chem said:
You can make DIY root ferts using Osmocote and gel capsules, or some other delivery method. Osmocote will have macronutrients in it as well, which many other commercial root tabs won't have (beyond a pittance of K).

Mine are DIY Osmocote Plus gel caps. :)

I'm always up for a DIY project, is there a guide on here that I should follow, or should I google and search around? Thanks!

Eleven13 said:
Thanks for the link, I just went out and grabbed some API tabs from another nearby Petco on my lunch break just to hold me over, but once those run out I'm definitely going to give these a try!

Great ! I got mine from a RAOK on TPT.

Back
Top Bottom