Root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep Jetta's right they go to dust, that is why you don't gravel vac around them. I don't have laterite in my dirted tank but I use Iron Root Tabs around plants along with regular root tabs. Mind you- you don't need Iron Root Tabs, just regualar one's like you purchased.

But it's right by my fish litter box. That's where they all go to poop. Should I shove it way in there then?

You're supposed to vacuum up a bunch of dust and mush from them after two days? How do they last six months then?

Root tabs should be added monthly, and they should be buried deep enough not to be disturbed by regular gravel vacuuming.

Root tabs are often clay based. Over time they break down, the key is to get them in place under the substrate where they are needed before this happens. Osmocote is a nice simple DIY type approach, my only complaint with them is that the little osmocote balls surface sometimes and are hard to get back down under the substrate. Also, since they are a terrestrial fert, they do contain ammoniacal nitrogen, which is a bad idea in a tank with living animals. Used sparingly it's not a problem, but it can be if one goes overboard, or if the fertilizer balls release too quickly. Google around for a little info on it before you go that route, if you end up considering it, just to be informed.

If you go the effort of adding laterite, you might as well do mineralized topsoil and reap the benefits of a more complete nutrient base.

So add every month and try to get it deep next to the plant or under the plant? Or does it really matter? It's for a crypt, and I could put a couple large rocks around it and stuck the tabs deeper under the rocks, but would that keep the crypt from getting much bigger? I have these rocks in a couple spots because my Cory cats like to unbury things.

So add every month and try to get it deep next to the plant or under the plant? Or does it really matter? It's for a crypt, and I could put a couple large rocks around it and stuck the tabs deeper under the rocks, but would that keep the crypt from getting much bigger? I have these rocks in a couple spots because my Cory cats like to unbury things.

Don't overthink it, it's basically just getting some nutrients down where the roots are for your root plants. If it's a low light setup I would fertilize sparingly, maybe once every couple of months if that. Less light = less nutrient demand.

Don't overthink it, it's basically just getting some nutrients down where the roots are for your root plants. If it's a low light setup I would fertilize sparingly, maybe once every couple of months if that. Less light = less nutrient demand.

I'm sorry. I just don't wanna screw it up and kill them, or make them go parasitic.

I just started using API root tabs aswell I was Gounod to get seachem but the API were a bit cheaper. In going to replace the API when I need to with seachem and see if I notice a difference.

I just started using API root tabs aswell I was Gounod to get seachem but the API were a bit cheaper. In going to replace the API when I need to with seachem and see if I notice a difference.

When I have a thing called money, I'm replacing these with something like those because I don't like the spontaneous explosion of gray dust if you don't take them out right. I would like to be able to use them, not watch them go poof into a pile of dust all over the desk.

I've always used Seachem root tabs and never had them turn into dust after a month under the sub. They absolutely break down over time but it's a pretty slow process.

The guy above who said not to clean the gravel where the tabs are placed is 100% right on, and for a couple reasons. You don't want to remove the nutrients that you paid money to add and you usually place these tabs near plants that feed by their roots. Syphoning the gravel near plant roots damages the plant. If you feel the need to clean where the fish make a mess only clean the surface of the sand and don't insert the gravel vac into the substrate at all. This may sound odd but it's normal procedure in planted tanks.

Every type of aquarium comes with a different set of rules. Planted tanks are different in that you don't want to use carbon, you always want to see nitrate and phosphates in the water, and you generally want to leave the substrate alone. These are rules that are opposite to most other aquarium environments.

As for keeping crypts from not growing to large all you need to do is trim outer leaves to keep it the size you want. Just trim them off as close to the base as possible. Or when it gets too large, remove the plant and pull it apart in sections. You will be able to see little individual plants once it's removed out of the water. Then you'll have a smaller plant and little plantlets to use in other areas in the tank. But you shouldn't have to do that for quite some time.

Once it gets bigger, if I need to trim it down, I will, but I'm sure it will be fine for a while. As for vacuuming, I try not to get the sand, but sometimes a little sand gets sucked up with the masses of poop. And if I miss it, the Cory cats fling it everywhere sifting around. And the gourami picks it up and throws it. So if I can get it, I need to get it, or it will rain poop in my tank. My fish are gross.

Back
Top Bottom