Root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is gonna look like the dumbest list of questions ever.

1) How often are you supposed to put in root tabs?
2) Are they all really fragile and fall apart if you don't take them out exactly right?

I put them in about twice a year. Sometimes I go a bit longer and other times I see a plant that can use an extra one and pop a tab under it whenever.

The ones in a box are very solid and you'd need a hammer to damage them. The DIY capsule type tabs are more delicate but go in easily. I always use my fingers to place any of them. Long tweezers can be tricky with root tabs.

I put them in about twice a year. Sometimes I go a bit longer and other times I see a plant that can use an extra one and pop a tab under it whenever.

The ones in a box are very solid and you'd need a hammer to damage them. The DIY capsule type tabs are more delicate but go in easily. I always use my fingers to place any of them. Long tweezers can be tricky with root tabs.

So, the ridiculously overpriced nasty fish store sold me crappy tabs. I may have to put them in more often just because if you put any pressure on them at all, they shatter into a lovely pile of gray dust. If it helps, they are Sera flore plus. I used my fingers once I finally got a tab and not a plume of dust. It just didn't come with any directions to say how often or what the secret trick is to get them out.

Ouch! I've never used that brand, only Seachem, API and my own DIY tabs made by freezing Osmocote Plus in water. Seachem are the best in my experience. The ones you have should be fine if you are very gentle and don't suck them out by cleaning your gravel. Live and learn. We've all bought regrettable products from time to time. :)

Ouch! I've never used that brand, only Seachem, API and my own DIY tabs made by freezing Osmocote Plus in water. Seachem are the best in my experience. The ones you have should be fine if you are very gentle and don't suck them out by cleaning your gravel. Live and learn. We've all bought regrettable products from time to time. :)

Yeah, I'm not the only one that's made mistakes with fish. Lesson of the thread: never get Sera root tabs. I will see if I can find Seachem or API root tabs when these die. Which might be sooner rather than later. Does it hurt my crypt if my inca snail climbs all over it? I can't tell if he's pulled it partially up or if I just did a poor job of planting it. Or both.

Won't hurt your crypt at all. Just a happy snail doing its thing and keeping the leaves algae free. I've never had an inca snail though, only normal gold apple snails years ago.

Won't hurt your crypt at all. Just a happy snail doing its thing and keeping the leaves algae free. I've never had an inca snail though, only normal gold apple snails years ago.

He doesn't clean the leaves. He climbs on top of it and perches there. Yes, my snail is a crazy idiot. I will share a picture next time he does it. He's weird.

I personally felt that root tabs were a waste. I got much better growth adding laterite to my gravel.

It's a clay base material that helps plants feed which require lots of iron, like sword plants. It is reddish in color and may look odd with sand. U will probably need tabs with sand as it has virtually no nourishment in it. Tabs will help u then. If u do consider laterite, u can get it at Petsmart or online aquarium dealers.

Tagging along because I recently started using root tabs (API) and I have never heard anyone describe a snail as weird. A first :)

Tagging along because I recently started using root tabs (API) and I have never heard anyone describe a snail as weird. A first :)

Then I will for sure have to get a picture. I missed the opportunity of him rolling around the tank on the banana plant. I'll get you a few shots of his weirdness. For starters, I'll share his addiction to algae wafers. He is my crackhead.

Attachments

• image-3510416751.jpg
    image-3510416751.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 85
It's a clay base material that helps plants feed which require lots of iron, like sword plants. It is reddish in color and may look odd with sand. U will probably need tabs with sand as it has virtually no nourishment in it. Tabs will help u then. If u do consider laterite, u can get it at Petsmart or online aquarium dealers.

I'll be hunting for better ones as I discovered doing my gravel vacuum that the one I added two days ago already has turned to mushy dusty crap. I'm never going to that store again. Horribly overpriced and all their tanks have green algae growing up the walls.

BettaGal said:
Then I will for sure have to get a picture. I missed the opportunity of him rolling around the tank on the banana plant. I'll get you a few shots of his weirdness. For starters, I'll share his addiction to algae wafers. He is my crackhead.

That's cute!

I have not used laterite since my first planted tank back in the 90s. Is it true that you must basically start from scratch with laterite (meaning you cannot add it to an existing tank)? Otherwise the clay would never settle?

I used laterite on my first planted tank (55 gallon) and it was excellent. I put it right on the glass and topped it with fine pea gravel. My latest substrate I did (last month) was done with Osmocote Plus on the bottom with Eco Complete on top and I have great growth, though I'd use laterite if I were to do it again. The osmocote dumped a ton of ammonia and nitrate during the first two weeks and still keeps my nitrate higher than I like. It's settling down now.

Yep Jetta's right they go to dust, that is why you don't gravel vac around them. I don't have laterite in my dirted tank but I use Iron Root Tabs around plants along with regular root tabs. Mind you- you don't need Iron Root Tabs, just regualar one's like you purchased.

Back
Top Bottom