Root tabs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wags 22

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's my options with plant fertilizers. I'd like to hear your opinions. Pros & cons

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this asking about fertilizers in general? Or just root tabs?

I make my own root tabs using a time release terrestrial fertilizer such as dynamite flower and vegetable. I put the fert in a gel capsule and stick it in my substrate. The only problem with this is that it does have the potential to release a small amount of ammonia. Also, sometimes the capsules that contain the fert can make their way to the surface but you just siphon them out at that point.

I've also used flourish root tabs however they don't even come close to the diy tabs in effectiveness.

Yeah, fertilizers in general. I'm just lookin for what folks feel works for them and why.

Well I started out with my planted tank using a comprehensive dry fert. I had what I thought was good growth at the time. Just out of necessity to get a fertilizer that won't increase my nitrates I tried ei dosing of dry ferts. That's the point in which my plants exploded in growth. I tend to take a lot of pictures of my tank and if you want I can post a link of my growth difference between fertilizers.

What type of substrate do you use?

In my 55g I have plain black diamond blasting sand. I will be upgrading to a 90g soon and will be dirting that tank. My 10g is already dirted.

I use EcoComplete. Black, regular grain size. Pool filter sand is another popular choice.
I tried root tabs (cannot remember the brand but they were a bit costly...10 for $10). I ordered Aqua Fertz root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Comes I total, phosphate, and iron blends. Economical IMO: 75 pellets for $10. Also from the AP site is a pellet injector which is basically a long plastic tube which allows precise placement of the pellets without getting your hands wet or disrupting the plants. Having great results with the plants.

What Ferts to use depend on your tank.

I grow Crypts so I use DIY Osmocote +
Root caps. 50 for $10 (?) I think I paid on TPT.

I use Flourish comprehensive and Excel and Leaf Zone because I have small tanks all 10g or less so liquid Ferts are easy and cheap for me. All mine are lowlight/low tech.

Sand on the bottom except for my 5.5g with AquaSoil Amazonia in it.

I just got the root tabs that Fresh is talking about. Much more economical than the pet store tabs. The pellet applicator is just too cool! OS.

OMG I just had a funny thought. Think the applicator would work with suppositers??

I would imagine that would depend on how densely your substrate is packed and whether its well aerated or not. We also can't leave out how deep the substrate is.

Haha you still the man OS! Not trying to hi jack here but since were talking ferts, anyone's fish act strange after flourish excel dose?

Back
Top Bottom