Root tabs and cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seachem, API, and most any other root tab made for aquarium plants is fine and they do not affect cycling.

Seachem, API, and most any other root tab made for aquarium plants is fine and they do not affect cycling.

While I got ya, Rivercats, when I'm cycling its been advices to crank the heaters up to like 84 to 86 degrees. Will this be okay for plant growth and when I let the temperature drop to about 76 or 78 again, will it kill the fish?

Hello K...

If you're cycling a tank, then the nitrogen levels in the water are already pretty high. So your plants are probably thriving in that tank water. There's no reason to provide fertilizer for the plants.

Once the tank is established, then continue to stock the tank and once you have all your fish, feed them a balanced diet. They'll provide all the fertilizer your aquatic plants need.

B

While I got ya, Rivercats, when I'm cycling its been advices to crank the heaters up to like 84 to 86 degrees. Will this be okay for plant growth and when I let the temperature drop to about 76 or 78 again, will it kill the fish?

Most plants can withstand the temp. What plants are you going to put in? You do know root tabs are only needed for Swords, Crypts, and bulb plants as they are heavy root feeders.

Hello K...

If you're cycling a tank, then the nitrogen levels in the water are already pretty high. So your plants are probably thriving in that tank water. There's no reason to provide fertilizer for the plants.

Once the tank is established, then continue to stock the tank and once you have all your fish, feed them a balanced diet. They'll provide all the fertilizer your aquatic plants need.

B

While it is very true that plants use ammonia and nitrates while a tank is cycling it is not true that fish waste and food will provide enough fertilizer for plants later on. There are so many factors such as lighting, type of plants used, and such that determine how much nutrients are actually needed. Plus fish waste and food basically only provide some nitrates and phosphates to the tank and plants need a lot of different micro and macro nutrients. No ferts can work in some low light set ups but even in those adding a well balanced fertilizer can improve overall plant health.

I got lazy for a few months with one of the planted goldie tanks... I quite dosing the ferts and liquid carbon in the 55g tank as the kids were getting tanks ready for the fancy's at their homes for the kids. Long story short is the plants suffered, the last fish left a week ago and I've had to do some major pruning and what not on the Java Fern's and Anubia's that were 2-3 years old just to get them looking somewhat respectable. Many had obvious nutrient deficiencies from lack of my dosing a proper amount of macro and especially micro ferts in this case. This tank had plenty of fish waste and food providing ample nitrates and phosphates which was not enough on their own to keep plants healthy. I'm not saying this is always the case but IMO good ferts is always beneficial for plants.

To be honest, shelf brand root tabs are ridiculously expensive, look into other alternatives whether homemade or something like osmocote.

I totally agree but for newbies sometimes it an easier option in the beginning. I still use the ones from AquariumPlants.com as I get 75 tabs for around $8. Plus I can get speciality root tabs like iron only for certain plants I grow.

Hello K...

B

The level of nitrogen in the tank has nothing to do with cycling status. More of the nitrogen is in the form of ammonia rather than nitrate, but plants can use either fairly easily

I ordered 20 API Root tabs, liquid CO2, I have a liquid fert, and I'm upgrading my lighting fixture. All of this will be done next week. I agree with Rivercats. Everything wasn't to expensive. Executive the lighting fixture was close to 100 bucks. I'm going to go with some stuff that I'm sure will work in some sort if fashion rather than DIY projects that could throw everything off. I'm planning to just get a variety of plants. I upgraded from a 50 watt fixture to a 156 T5 HO fixture with four LED moonlight bulbs. So, I think my lighting is okay for at least low to moderate plants. As far as top water plants, I'm going with maybe two Lillie's or so. I know duckweed gets out of hand! I really would like some java fern, and Amazon Swords. The rest is undecided. Any advice and suggestions? By the way, my last fixture was two T8 bulbs for 50 watts. My new is quad T5 HO bulbs 36 inches. Not sure if that means anything.

You have so many different types of plants you can grow with that light but you have to be sure to use the liquid carbon daily! Then down the road you can get CO2 if you want.

For plants you can do Water sprite or wisteria, Ambulia, Cabomba (Furcata is my favorite), Limnophila hippuroides, most Rotala's and Ludwigia's, Rotala Macrandra is my favorite rotala and Ludwigia Glandulosa is one of my favorite ludwigia's. Ludwigia sp. Cuba is really nice. You just have so many choices I could go on and on! A couple crypts would be nice, something like Crypt Wendtii Red or Bronze and a Red Tiger Lotus. If you use good ferts with liquid carbon and good lights you can do a lot with that size tank.

You have so many different types of plants you can grow with that light but you have to be sure to use the liquid carbon daily! Then down the road you can get CO2 if you want.

For plants you can do Water sprite or wisteria, Ambulia, Cabomba (Furcata is my favorite), Limnophila hippuroides, most Rotala's and Ludwigia's, Rotala Macrandra is my favorite rotala and Ludwigia Glandulosa is one of my favorite ludwigia's. Ludwigia sp. Cuba is really nice. You just have so many choices I could go on and on! A couple crypts would be nice, something like Crypt Wendtii Red or Bronze and a Red Tiger Lotus. If you use good ferts with liquid carbon and good lights you can do a lot with that size tank.

I've been working hard trying to get the funds for this setup! Seems like its paying off and I'm excited!

Hey Rivercats, for my 10 Cory cat stocking, can I have like different colors within it?

Cory cats like to shoal with their own species but will if needed with other species of cory's. If you want you "could" do 3 of 2 species and 4 of another but I will tell you nothing quite looks like a shoal of one kind of cory toddling around together in a tank.

Cory cats like to shoal with their own species but will if needed with other species of cory's. If you want you "could" do 3 of 2 species and 4 of another but I will tell you nothing quite looks like a shoal of one kind of cory toddling around together in a tank.

I better make it count then! What are some types that stand out to you?

I love Panda's but they really prefer cooler water even tho most people keep them in standard community temps. Sterbai Cory's always do well for me. Julii Cory's seem to be the most active of all the species I have.

I hope none of my fish wang rocks because I just plan to heavily plant it and have driftwood. Haha

Fish like cover but that's easy enough to provide with plants. There's some awesome swords out there now, I've been amassing some super cool ones. My current favorites are kleiner bar, kleiner prinz, red ozelot, and St Elmo's fire. I'm doing a 120 with a ton of swords this weekend so maybe I'll do a build journal.

Back
Top Bottom