Root tabs AND liquid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Alia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I use root tabs and fert liquid or will one work?
In my tank is:
Anubis
Jungle Val
Willow leaf hygro
Ludwigia
Dwarf sag (which the snails love!)
Hydro
Myrio

Root tabs for Crypts and Swords. Liquid for all others.

What readings are you getting for nitrate, phosphate? If the levels are high enough without dosing, you don't have to add the liquid fertilizer - however in some medium-high light tanks, plants grow fast enough that they absorb all the nutrients present, and water column ferts need to be added. Also, I don't think the vals or dwarf sag would mind a root tab :)

I don't know what my readings are, I've not checked them.
So liquid fert adds nitrates? Nitrates kills rams. Are the nitrates on fert the same that kills rams? If so, I don't wanna add liquid fert.
This is so overwhelming.

Seachem Flourish doesn't add any nitrates. You can use it without any problems.

I don't know what my readings are, I've not checked them.
So liquid fert adds nitrates? Nitrates kills rams. Are the nitrates on fert the same that kills rams? If so, I don't wanna add liquid fert.
This is so overwhelming.

Lol it's not as difficult as it sounds. And actually most store bought liquid ferts only provide micros and nitrate is a macro. If you don't already have it get the API test kit. Most people should not have to add nitrate to their tank as the fish usually provide enough of this. Rams will be fine as long as your nitrates stay under 20 ppm but I'd aim for 10. The only macro you prob will have to does for is phosphates. Depending on your tap you might not even have to do that. You don't want much phosphate anyway, 1-2 ppm is fine.

And to sum that up yes just stick with flourish, it will provide you with the necessary micros. Your plant list is relatively undemanding so you should be ok.

So I need flourish and root tabs both right?

I've seen flourish and I've seen flourish excel...can you tell me the difference? And which do I use?

I'm sorry for all the stupid questions. I've good it and get all sorts of answers.

Excel is a liquid carbon and is not compatible with Vals...
You cau use Flourish liquid and tabs (for crypts and swords). Api Leaf (iron and potassium) is good idea too. All that is not expensive at all.

Excel is a liquid carbon and is not compatible with Vals...
You cau use Flourish liquid and tabs (for crypts and swords). Api Leaf (iron and potassium) is good idea too. All that is not expensive at all.

Where can I go to find out what's compatible with what and I should be dosing this and that and this is a root feeder and this is a leaf feeder and bla bla bla?
You're the first person to tell me I shouldn't use excel because of the Val.

You'll only need seachem flourish and api leaf zone. Add it as indicated on the bottle.

When you'll have the crypts or swords, you'll need the root tabs.

You'll only need seachem flourish and api leaf zone. Add it as indicated on the bottle.

When you'll have the crypts or swords, you'll need the root tabs.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. If your looking for a carpet effect with your micro swords your going to need to use excel or get co2. They become an excellent algae farm so careful with them. No glut(excel)/co2 dosing can be accomplished with good results, but VERY slow growth and IMO will be displeasing. I'd advise using excel and not get any plants that may melt because of it (its a short list). Crypts will melt regardless but will come back stronger and healthier in no time. And I'd get root tabs their not expensive to make and very easy to use. Leaf zone isn't entirely necessary but it won't hurt. It's a mixture of iron and potassium as mentioned but its really better to add a micro and macro fert separately. I'd advise getting the Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Potassium.

Back
Top Bottom