Root Tabs in the Water Column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnRoscoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just purchased some Seachem root tabs to help push some Java Fern 'windelov' and Java Moss to fill in bare spots in an established 16G. The tank is low tech and I like it that way, once the plants fill in where I removed other items, I don't intend to continue fertilizing.

My question is, if I add too many tabs, do I run the risk of an algae bloom from excess nutrients in the water column? I'd like to add them in 3 areas, but could stagger timing and only add to one area at a time over several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ummmmm those things are column feeders get liquid fertz not tabs, tabs are for vals and crypts and stuff and go in the substrate near them.

Guess the question still applies, will the tabs effect the column? Enough to influence column feeders? Enough to encourage algae at some point.

I'm simply not willing to measure and dose liquids daily, so it's the 3-4 month benefit from a tab or nothing.

...i wouldnt use the tabs in the water coloumn. just use liquid ferts its usually measured in capfuls anyways and is easy. your not going to be able to stop dosing or throwing in tabs ever, if anything youll have to increase in the amount your put in..

Yeah liquid ferts aren't exact just get some flourish and put some in twice a week when you feed

Guess the question still applies, will the tabs effect the column? Enough to influence column feeders? Enough to encourage algae at some point.

I'm simply not willing to measure and dose liquids daily, so it's the 3-4 month benefit from a tab or nothing.

I add liquid ferts 1x weekly after I do my water change. Super easy and I don't have to remember anything special.

I use API LeafZone and Flourish comprehensive one time a week.

I'll add Flourish excel weekly or more often if I remember for Carbon.

I buy DIY root tabs from other hobbyists. Recently I paid eight dollars for 50 tabs including shipping from a member of the planted tank forums.

I know there are members on here making and selling them as well, so that would be a good resource.

My tanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424810570.416377.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424810588.467063.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424810619.003630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I add liquid ferts 1x weekly after I do my water change. Super easy and I don't have to remember anything special.

I use API LeafZone and Flourish comprehensive one time a week.

I'll add Flourish excel weekly or more often if I remember for Carbon.

I buy DIY root tabs from other hobbyists. Recently I paid eight dollars for 50 tabs including shipping from a member of the planted tank forums.

I know there are members on here making and selling them as well, so that would be a good resource.
How often do you replace the root tabs?

Back
Top Bottom